Dual Racor 500s - manifold problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bay Pelican

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Bay Pelican
Vessel Make
Krogen 42
Warming up the main engine this morning to start a passage and the engine shut off. Some time later determined no diesel was flowing into either filter housing regardless of how I set the manifold lever. Diesel was getting to the manifold. I then rotated the lever at least ten times and fuel started to flow.

Anyone have any idea of what happened and what would be a permanent fix?

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. BP. Could it been a gob of goo or some such that eventually cleared?

6oo.gif

Not sure about your manifold...but newer ball valves with the plastic/ptfe covers for the ball sometimes separate and give similar symptoms.

Thinking the same about some sleeve rotating. Next step is pull valve core. Never done that, so not sure what is in there.

If it's a ball valve the handle operates the stem. The stem has a tang which fits into a slot cut into the ball. They can wear, either the tang or the slot and then the ball will not rotate. Although not common it does happen.

Something else just occured to me. There is a nut that holds the stem in place and the stem seal. Check the nut. If it has backed out that may release the tang enough to not engage the slot. Be carefull as just winding on the nut may damage the tan/slot if they are not aligned.

You will need to disassemble the valve to see if that is the case.

If either has occured replace the valve is probably the easiest,safest and cheapest course of action. Then take the old valve apart just to see.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom