Dropped tube in Yanmar transmission

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HenryD

Vessel Name
Seven Tenths (sold)
Vessel Make
Mirage / Great Harbour 47
Hello,
I am trying to help a fellow boater who was working on his engine, taking an oil sample from his transmission. The sample pump slipped and the 12" plastic tube slid down into the transmission. He has been able to grab it a few times with a 4 finger grabber but now cannot find the tubing.
Any suggestions or tricks?:banghead:
He cannot remove the oil drain plug (he needs a special short socket to fit).
The yanmar is a 3JH5 (54hp) I think.

Thank you

Drain the oil. The look for it. If you can't see it. Amazon has a ton of small bore scopes that will plug into a smart phone. You may be able to fish it closer to hole then use a flexible retrieval tool to get it.

He is finding that drain plug requires a shallow or short socket because it is very narrow in there. He has a bore scope on order from Amazon.

If you find the socket is too thick. Take it to a machine shop and have them cut the od down. I have done it multiple times for myself and other techs.

I would be inclined to just leave it there. Unless there are oil-ways to be clogged, a chewed up plastic tube will not do too much harm and will come out at an oil change.

Plan A. A short length of piano wire or single strand telephone wire with the end bent over will hook the tube enough to pull it under the opening. Then he can use the grabber tool. Try to grab the loose tube by the very end. It will come out easier.
Plan B, drain the oil and use a small tube taped to the end of a shop vac hose. the vacuum will hold tube against tube enough to drag it to the opening.
Plan C, if Plan A finds the end of the tube but too slippery to grab, then insert the telephone wire into the tube all the way until it comes out the outer end. Hopefully there will be enough friction to keep the tube on the wire and get it out.

Do not leave it in there! It wouldn't take much ground up plastic to block the oil pick up screen.

THe other thing I can think of that could get screwed up with plastic bits is the control valving. If those ports get plugged you won't have shifting untill you remove the debris.

I don't know your gearbox but most control valves in any hydraulic system are far smaller than the main working or power lines.

True a screen may stop the bulk of it, but why take the chance.

I would be inclined to just leave it there. Unless there are oil-ways to be clogged, a chewed up plastic tube will not do too much harm and will come out at an oil change.

Not the best approach.
There are small orifices that could be easily clogged by chewed up plastic bits, don’t risk it!
I just read a thread about a guy who lost the bottom part of his dipstick, he’s now contemplating removing the transmission.
Hope your situation is resolvable without that!

Back
Top Bottom