Dripless

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harrymc

Can anyone tell me if I can remove my Transmission without damaging my dripless shaft seal and flooding my bilge? Pulling the boat is not an option.

Can anyone tell me if I can remove my Transmission without damaging my dripless shaft seal and flooding my bilge? Pulling the boat is not an option.

Yes.

Welcome to the forum!

Identifying your type and model of boat would be helpful. A picture or make and model of drip less seal would also help. One of the limitations you will face is how far you can move the shaft back to disengage from the transmission. Immobilizing the shaft will likely also be important.

Ted

I've done it in water, no problem.
Loosen the rotor. when you pull the flange aft. You will get a little water.
Tighten rotor and get to work on your transmission.

Attachments

• Transmission rebuild.JPG
    Transmission rebuild.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2482.JPG
    IMG_2482.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 35
Yes, it can be done in the water but you will need to slide the shaft back enough to get the transmission back far enough for the shaft inside to clear. My shaft does not have room to go aft. But I had an engine out this winter so I put in a new damper plate while I had it out just in case.

You should be able to slide the shaft back without too much water just by loosening the "donut". You may have to move the engine forward also if you cannot gain enough clearance for the shaft. But all of this can be done in the water without major issues.

Yes, it can be done in the water but you will need to slide the shaft back enough to get the transmission back far enough for the shaft inside to clear. My shaft does not have room to go aft. But I had an engine out this winter so I put in a new damper plate while I had it out just in case.

My shaft flange only moves back 1/2 inch, that was enough.

Last edited:
My shaft flange only moves back 1/2 inch, that was enough.

I didn’t even get 1/2” and it was not nearly enough but since I was pulling the engine and transmission anyway it didn’t matter. But when it was out I did the damper plate since it was simple then.

I didn’t even get 1/2” and it was not nearly enough but since I was pulling the engine and transmission anyway it didn’t matter. But when it was out I did the damper plate since it was simple then.

Damper plate was my issue too. It shattered without warning half way across the Gulf Stream.

Attachments

• Damper plate smashed.JPG
    Damper plate smashed.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 19

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom