Go Back   Trawler Forum > Maintenance and Systems > Power Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2019, 07:59 AM   #21
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
What does your engine manual say?
If the oil consumption is more than to be expected, start planning and saving up for some serious maintenance.

Old 09-29-2019, 12:57 PM   #22
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
I don't use oil additives. I use NAPA oil and fuel filters with 16qts of Valvoline Premium Blue, 15-40 in my 3208 T/As. I change the oil around 300 hours of running and take oil samples.

However:

I do use fuel additives. A gallon of Lucas when I refuel and at the beginning of winter, I use 8 ounces of BIOBOR JF in each main tank.

Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 01:28 PM   #23

City: Camarillo
Is more better -- NO !!

What I interoperate the OP as asking is this.

he is saying: "I used this additive & it seemed to him that it helped".

Then he is trying to apply & Use the logic that:
---------------" if some is good, then more is better." ----------------

Let me tell you that the resounding answer is: " NO !!".

Additives do not replace oil & are not better than your base oil for lubrication of the internal moving parts of you diesel engine.

They are meant to be used in relatively small quantiles & not to replace 20% of your lubricating oil.

OK - if you want - So you could go to 40 wt. oil & that would be OK as long as your going to use a top quality DIESEL rated oil.

If you insist on using an additive, Use the quantity of Lucas oil treatment you say you used the first time. -- That will probably be OK - maybe.

BUT DO NOT REPLACE 20% of your oil capacity with additive.

Nuff said !

Good luck.

Alfa Mike.
alfamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 08:12 PM   #24

City: Maple
Vessel Name: DORA
Vessel Model: 1987 Defever 41
thanks, guys. i put 5 gallons of clean Rotella T4 15W-40 oil and will not use any additives for now and will see how the engine will behave and sound next season because I have some data to compare now. i'm planning to do a few extra maintenance items in the winter so it may help to avoid additives to keep the noise down as well.
Waterant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 05:52 AM   #25
FF
Guru

The mandates of the Air Police , requiring exhaust gas to be fed into the intake (EGR) is the reason modern oils contain a large dose of additives.

As few of our engines have this feature the old standard CD oil works well, with out the modern detergent package .
Single weight oil does a fine job s very few need the cold starting ability of multi grade.

Old style perhaps , but so are so many of our engines.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 07:33 AM   #26
Guru

I use oil that is already stabilized

New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 09:25 AM   #27
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
I run Detroit Diesels that are one oil change away from 5000 hours. Sine they need special single weight low ash oil, I see no harm in adding an additive when changing the oil. The only harm that could be done was to my wallet.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 06:08 AM   #28
FF
Guru

"I run Detroit Diesels that are one oil change away from 5000 hours. Sine they need special single weight low ash oil,"

SOON it will be broken in!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 12:42 PM   #29
Veteran Member

City: Vero Beach FL
Not your question but an additive comment:

I did a with/without comparison a few times on the recommended amount of TuffOil into our 5qt sump (Perkins 4-154), added to Rotella diesel oil.

rock solid dependable 500RPM idle without, and 750RPM with. No other changes...
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 01:03 PM   #30

City: Berkeley, CA
Vessel Name: Andiamo
Vessel Model: Kha Shing Sundeck 40
YES. I started using it in a VW Vanagon when the engine started needing oil more often - 100k + on a small 4 banger gas engine. It helped - a lot. Better oil pressure and less oil consumption and so far another 50k on the engine. The engine was a rebuild that is now pushing 20 years old.

Lucas stabilizer IS oil after all.

I was thinking of adding more than 1lt per change also to get the same ratio as the little VW engine. But it costs more and diesel is already 'oil' so I just add the one liter.
Andiamo2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:48 PM   #31

City: Amsterdam
I own alot of small 2.7 liter to 15 liter diesel engines . I normally do not go for extra's but i am a firm supporter for lucas. I started mainly because i help a friend on his race cars . He allways use lucas @20% i started using it on my big tractor . It has only one job pull the big air drill pretty much 90-100% engine load 12hr to 40hrs at a time. Using same oil same load ect. Before lucas the last 60 hrs of an oil change i would easly burn up at least a gallon a day of reg oil. Once i started using lucas i would only have to add maybe 1gallon of oil between oil changes.to me the biggest thing it helps with dry starts definitly makes it more sticky... I use it on every thing now even the gaser engines ...i am still firm beliver that most products are snake oil. I definitely am a lucas oil fan
Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 11:48 AM   #32

City: port orchard, wa
Vessel Name: skybird
Vessel Model: skookum/one off
i`ve used an additive called HYPERLUBE for many yrs! in my opinion, it works! it says on the bottle to use 10% in diesels, so i`ve always used 2 qts, in 6 gallons of oil. i usually put about 300 hours a yr on out our single volvo...clyde

clyde is offline   Reply With Quote