Old 07-13-2016, 08:36 PM   #41

City: Buffalo
Vessel Name: Almost Perfect
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Oh yes...I've offered lifetime warranties because they cost virtually nothing on certain products.

But to the statement above. Chances are that isn't the case. There are hundreds to choose among and good companies spend a lot of time making sure the manufacturer can produce at the standard they require. There are quality production facilities in China and poor ones. Also, the facility making the Cummins part is probably checked periodically to be sure they're not private labeling or copying product. More likely the other one is a knockoff and it's possible to make it just as good. However, the one selling for $35 likely didn't spend time checking out the factory, didn't have one of their people on sight, didn't require regular quality reporting and didn't check and test the finished product when it arrived. Now I think the $341 is high and it can be found from Cummins for less. I think however, it's total cost including manufacturing and quality efforts is substantially more than the $35 product. I can speak to other products with more specifics than I can to Cummins parts.

Counterfeit designer purses and accessories are found regularly. What typically tells the agent who catches them is the quality. Little things they see that the average consumer wouldn't notice at first. I can't look at two parts, one from Cummins and one from Ebay and tell you the difference, but an expert could with the right equipment. First thing would be simple things like comparing weight, then analyzing each element, things such as the metals used. Perhaps a pressure test.

It is 100% possible for someone to make an equivalent product and sell it for less than Cummins. Guess what I'm saying is that the guy selling it for $35 on Ebay hasn't likely done that.
My sentiments exactly.
One way to possibly save money is to identify alternative sources for "factory" parts. Caterpillar and John Deere are obvious. Perkins is Massey-Ferguson tractor. Cummins 6BT was used in Dodge pickups.
I recently needed an engine part for my Cummins/Onan generator. A friend identified it as a Kubota engine, and the local Kubota dealer had just what I needed.
Rossland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:04 PM   #42
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
Almost no engine builder makes the accessories or the small parts like a solenoid themselves. Often the "cheap" part is made by the same factory that made the oem part and is just filling out production.
At least some Cummings engines are made in China along with all their accessories.
Attached Thumbnails
Cummings parts.JPG  
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:27 PM   #43
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
Almost no engine builder makes the accessories or the small parts like a solenoid themselves. Often the "cheap" part is made by the same factory that made the oem part and is just filling out production.
At least some Cummings engines are made in China along with all their accessories.
China is a very big country with a lot of factories of all levels of quality. We sometimes tend to use the word "China" like it's one and only one quality. China has some of the best factories in the world and some of the less. From experience the knock off product was highly unlikely to be made by the same plant. That would risk all Cummins business and they do monitor for such. No one disputes the fact they manufacture some in China and I don't find that to be a problem.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:06 PM   #44

City: Bristol PA
This going in circles I unsubscribed see y'all on other threads!