dirty fuel from filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Update and closed (I hope)

This past weekend I finished changing all my Racors and opened the inspection port on the tank.

1. Tank we very clean. No sludge, no nothing.
2. I changed small Racors (500 series) again, some black stuff, replaced them with 10 micron filters.
3. Replaced Racor 900 fuel polishing filter after polishing 100 gal (what was in tank) Vacuum had been as high as 5.5 in. With new 2 micron filter it is now 3.2 in when polishing.
4. Engine ran for three hours, no hiccups or issues, on either filter A or B.

My conclusions:

initial cause was first filter. (about 220 hours on them)
When i changed filter the first time, i did not totally refill filter housing, leaving some air in. Therefore causing engine to die after 15 minutes.
I'll continue to polish fuel when in marina.

Over and out

Richard

When i changed filter the first time, i did not totally refill filter housing, leaving some air in. Therefore causing engine to die after 15 minutes.
I'll continue to polish fuel when in marina.

Richard

Well when I left some air in I lost my power in the Harlem river while bucking a 3 knot current. That was not fun, but I am a better boater now. LOL

Well when I left some air in I lost my power in the Harlem river while bucking a 3 knot current. That was not fun, but I am a better boater now. LOL

Only 3 knots:D

I will also add that in talking with Brian of American Diesel today, he also mentioned that having my fuel polisher (and running it while engine is running) take its feed from my supply line can contribute to a less fuel getting to the engine than it wants and therefore a lack of power at high rpm's.

I thought I'd sent this but I guess not.
Take a look at the 3rd guage which is a telltale type:
SMX Multi-Stage Fuel Fueltration™ Available Options

As mentioned the normal type gauges , not telltale, must be read with the engine running at full throttle or at least a bit better than normal cruise so you get some advance warning of restriction.
Only need a few seconds of that.
If you don't run the engine hard and wait for the restriction to show at normal cruise though you will not get much warning.

With the telltale type you don't have to read it while running. It will record the highest reading and you can check it later. Just don't forget to check it though.

A good system should be less than 1"Hg or 2"Hg with new filters. Most engines should have the filters changed before 10"Hg although some will starve of fuel before that. This you will have to figure out. I think JLeonard said 7" Hg on his Lehman.

Also if you are already showing restriction climbing to near the max just before a trip, especially a long one, don't wait to change.

I thought I'd sent this but I guess not.
Take a look at the 3rd guage which is a telltale type:
SMX Multi-Stage Fuel Fueltration™ Available Options

As mentioned the normal type gauges , not telltale, must be read with the engine running at full throttle or at least a bit better than normal cruise so you get some advance warning of restriction.
Only need a few seconds of that.
If you don't run the engine hard and wait for the restriction to show at normal cruise though you will not get much warning.

With the telltale type you don't have to read it while running. It will record the highest reading and you can check it later. Just don't forget to check it though.

A good system should be less than 1"Hg or 2"Hg with new filters. Most engines should have the filters changed before 10"Hg although some will starve of fuel before that. This you will have to figure out. I think JLeonard said 7" Hg on his Lehman.

Also if you are already showing restriction climbing to near the max just before a trip, especially a long one, don't wait to change.

Thanks that's a very good point (doing a full power run) and also explains why i never saw any restriction on the telltales.

Back
Top Bottom