Old 09-28-2020, 12:49 PM   #21

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Rendezvous
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 420 Sundeck
I have configured, tested and installed the Actisense, NoLand and Alfa Combi units. Actisense and NoLand are my favorites but for different reasons and on different boats. I run both an Actisense and a NoLand on my boat, and use Furuno FI-70 displays at each driving location to show a compact gauge of everything for 2x engines. The data also shows up on chart plotters and other things, but I use those primarily for charting.

I wrote about the Actisense here https://seabits.com/monitor-your-eng...tisense-emu-1/ and while I like it, the NoLand has better alerting and alarms, and is easier to calibrate, when you can calibrate it. I've found that the NoLand units are very sensitive to stray voltages, bad grounds, and in particular, challenging with tachometers on various types of engines. They sell various bits to overcome some of this, but it does add some complexity.

I have a full set of analog gauges at both driving stations, but later this year those will all disappear behind the panel and will be replaced by glass monitors. I've run the units on this boat for almost 2 years without any issues.

stevemitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 08:24 PM   #22
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
For anyone thinking of going digital, Steve’s SeaBits article is an excellent resource. I’m planning to go with the EMU-1 for my mid ‘80s Lehmans. The install looks a lot less difficult than I’d imagined. I plan to keep all the analogue gauges at both helms and tap into the existing gauge wiring for engine temps, oil pressure and maybe transmission oil pressure.

The only part I’m not clear on is how to take the tacho readings off a Glendinning synchronizer. Anyone done this?

angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 09:26 PM   #23
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Haven’t read the whole thread but I’m going to add one good reason for digital.

That is when you want to know if something is increasing, increasing fast or stable.
While flying ultralight aircraft early on I got my engine too hot (well over 400 degrees f) and it quit very abruptly .. like stuck .. piston to bore.

I got advice from another flyer to buy a little digital meter that was accurate to one degree. It had a sensor that fit under the spark plug base taking the place of the spark plug gasket.
It worked very well. I could see at a glance what the cylinder head temp was and observing how fast or slow the numbers were moving up or down .. or stable. Then if the number was under my redline I could keep right on climbing at full rpm.

But an analog meter would usually get too hot before I could tell if the temp was climbing.

But w any analog meter one needs to engage the brain and compute the situation. The digital is more of a go-no-go .. at a glance.

But most all instruments found on a rec. trawler the analog meter should be fine IMO even if it’s not extremely accurate. A skipper only needs to know if the needles are about in the right position as determined from experience w his individual boat. So no digital needed.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 09:35 PM   #24
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Ian, there are spare ports on both ends of the synchronizer box. Plug your signal generators in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
For anyone thinking of going digital, Steve’s SeaBits article is an excellent resource. I’m planning to go with the EMU-1 for my mid ‘80s Lehmans. The install looks a lot less difficult than I’d imagined. I plan to keep all the analogue gauges at both helms and tap into the existing gauge wiring for engine temps, oil pressure and maybe transmission oil pressure.

The only part I’m not clear on is how to take the tacho readings off a Glendinning synchronizer. Anyone done this?
catalinajack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 09:47 PM   #25
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
Ian, there are spare ports on both ends of the synchronizer box. Plug your signal generators in there.
Thanks, John. After posting, I found a Glendinning manual that shows the ports. I guess Glendinning or Actisense can tell me which senders I’ll need. The synchro unit itself is in a great location—starboard ER ceiling—that offers an easy cable run to the lower helm. It’s nice when a project starts coming together.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 12:59 PM   #26
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar View Post
DD 8V71-TI's.....As much as I like the charm, real or perceived, of my classic gauges having more accurate information would be nice. They are old, and some have been replaced with non original. Some of them are giving pretty suspect readings.

So, I have two choices. Redo it all in analog gauges or going modern.

For the latter option, what have people successfully installed? I'm talking RPM, oil pressures, gear oil pressures, water temps, volt meters and I would like to add EGTs....

Probably want to maintain the original look of a bunch of round dials and not go to a screen....

I went with Aetna digital tachs, and CruzPro digital temp, oil pressure, fuel level, and voltmeter gauges. CruzPro makes a digital tach, too, but the units I chose all fit the original dashboard holes.

Our 8.3CTAs didn't already have EGT senders, and the ZF gears didn't come with oil pressure senders, so I didn't try to add those. May have been possible, but I didn't investigate.

-Chris