Old 06-24-2015, 06:22 PM   #1
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, fl
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
Is Diesel with Valvtect worth a premium?

Is it worth a 70 cent per gallon premium? If so why?
Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 06:42 PM   #2
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Is any additive worth it?

If you think so...usually a bottle for under $20 treats at least 100 Gallons...

I think more than occasional use of generic additives or additives required for a specific purpose are a waste of money.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 06:49 PM   #3
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
For you very little extra value, for the marina a extra $ .70 a gallon. If your marina has clean storage tanks and sells a moderate amount of fuel your getting clean fuel and that's what you want.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
Old 06-24-2015, 06:55 PM   #4
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I believe valvetech is added at the dispensing tank...like ethanol in those states/places that mandate it...

When ethanol was first an issue in NJ, a local marina that serviced outboards sent several different fuel samples to labs to see what was going on. He never saw more than 5% with 2-3 being closer to the average. So ethanol fuel wasn't as bad as some made it out to be...but everyone was running lower octane fuel.

You can never be sure just what you are getting despite the advertising by the marina.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 07:22 PM   #5
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I wouldn't pay that premium or $0.70 for it. If there are no additives, I'll add Biobor JF at a fraction of the cost.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 07:26 PM   #6
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Our marina and another nearby have it and I have noticed no premium whatsoever. I checked the pump at the marina over the weekend and it was $2.67/gal.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 05:55 AM   #7
FF
Guru

Spend extea boat bucks on a Baja filter to keep water out of the tank.

And for new O rings for the deck fill.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:45 AM   #8
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgitug View Post
Is it worth a 70 cent per gallon premium? If so why?

No. The City of Fort Myers Boat Basin is charging $2.81/gallon (as of 6/24) for Valvetect. In JAX, with taxes, Valvetect is $2.85/gallon. It sounds like who ever is charging the $0.70/gallon "so called" premium is using Valvetect as an excuse to gouge the customer. I'd go somewhere else.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 09:41 AM   #9

City: MD
Vessel Name: Blue Yonder
Vessel Model: 37
You can buy the additive and treat your fuel yourself for .08 per gallon (West Marine prices).
BlueYonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:14 AM   #10
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
In some areas of the country and types of fuel tank installations, microbe growth can be a real problem. If your fuel needs a Microbiocide to counter microbe growth in your diesel fuel tanks, then buy the correct biocide additive. Your engine manufacture will generally have a list of additives that won't "damage" your equipment

But it's not something you should be pouring into your fuel tanks just because of a sales pitch from an aftermarket additive supplier. There is no "added value" to buying aftermarket additives for your fuel or lube oil otherwise. It a waste of your money and some aftermarket additives may actually damage your equipment.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:29 AM   #11
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
No. The City of Fort Myers Boat Basin is charging $2.81/gallon (as of 6/24) for Valvetect. In JAX, with taxes, Valvetect is $2.85/gallon. It sounds like who ever is charging the $0.70/gallon "so called" premium is using Valvetect as an excuse to gouge the customer. I'd go somewhere else.
Yes, the whole question is based on an erroneous assumption or premise. Valvtect doesn't cost $0.70 more. Also some other diesel fuels have similar additives. I do feel Valvtect is worth a very slight premium over fuel without it or similar. However, I am finding no real price differential. Our last fueling in Fort Lauderdale was $2.64. We just fueled at Cape Charles. Their pump price is $2.80 before discounts for quantity.

We do try to go to places who use major fuel suppliers and sell a lot of fuel. Some are Valvtech, some not. Nearly all are marine diesel with some additive.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 11:30 AM   #12
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Diesel is blended with an additive pack at the distributor, enough stuff to meet the ASTM specs. Nothing else is needed.

Additional additives are needed only to meet some psychological need that the snake oil vendors take full advantage of.

I'm in the engine business and the only additive I recommend is a biocide on tanks where free water can't be drained, and when boat is sitting much of the time.

Otherwise, just get fuel from a high volume vendor, keep water out of tanks and maintain your filters. Done.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 02:12 PM   #13
Guru

City: DC
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
Ski as always give great advice. That said, we are in the B&B camp - we prefer valvtect and several marinas around us have it. We will pay a slight premium (few cents) but if the price varies much more than that, we will buy from one of the non-valvtect sources. Even then we generally run it with no additoinal additives. Our primary goal is to buy from the marinas that move the most diesel.

As to pricing, it is funny here in that each marina seems to set its price when it gets a load of fuel and won't change it (up or down) until the next load, without regard to changes in the larger market. Last year or so when diesel prices started to really come down, some marinas had pretty much priced themselves out of the market, at least for the locals who are familiar with all the local sources.
Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 02:29 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolena View Post

As to pricing, it is funny here in that each marina seems to set its price when it gets a load of fuel and won't change it (up or down) until the next load, without regard to changes in the larger market. Last year or so when diesel prices started to really come down, some marinas had pretty much priced themselves out of the market, at least for the locals who are familiar with all the local sources.
We saw that elsewhere as well. Some marinas were very slow to drop as they had fuel on hand. The fuel trucks dropped immediately. Any marina not requiring weekly fills (or more often) was caught behind. If a marina had 20,000 gallons on hand and the price dropped $0.50, in essence they just lost $10,000 without doing a thing, unless they can somehow sell it still at the old price.

However, some just stay high permanently hoping people don't care. There are marinas right now in Fort Lauderdale charging $3.59 so about a dollar more than we paid a couple of weeks ago.
Old 06-25-2015, 02:32 PM   #15
Guru

Oh, I just found a marina in West Palm that is charging $4.079 for diesel and it's not Valvtect.
Old 06-25-2015, 02:36 PM   #16
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Lambs in JAX goes through that on deliveries. They get 10K gallons at a time and they hold their price till the next delivery. This winter when prices were dropping they were high for a awhile. Now, according to AC, they are #12 on low cost out of ~100 marinas with fuel docks in FL.

Recently Huckins discontinued fueling from trucks at their faculty. In the past you fueled on Tuesdays and got that weeks market rate. Now they only fuel your boat if you are on the hard,
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 03:10 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Lambs in JAX goes through that on deliveries. They get 10K gallons at a time and they hold their price till the next delivery. This winter when prices were dropping they were high for a awhile. Now, according to AC, they are #12 on low cost out of ~100 marinas with fuel docks in FL.

Recently Huckins discontinued fueling from trucks at their faculty. In the past you fueled on Tuesdays and got that weeks market rate. Now they only fuel your boat if you are on the hard,
And the current prices listed in Florida range from $2.43 to $4.19 and nothing to do with quality of fuel. Oh and the lowest, Anchor Petroleum is Valvtect

We were filled by truck at Cape Charles. Over 150 gallons they offer that option and if you're taking on a lot they seem to prefer it.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:59 AM   #18
Guru

City: LI or Fla
We use valvetect diesel and although I never put additives in my cars, the valvetect diesel does burn cleaner with our Yanmar's (Cetan boosters) and have a few other people that independently found the same thing, with that all said, we don't pay more for it, the price at the valvetect station is the same as the guy across the canal.

Also within the additive is lubricity agent, which as Ski states maybe this is just a feel good thing for me, but I like to feel good, so it works! ;-)
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 05:59 AM   #19
FF
Guru

The only possible advantage of purchasing a "premium" fuel might be perhaps , only perhaps , the marina fuel filters are kept up better.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 08:21 AM   #20
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
It looks like a pretty marketing scheme. Valvtect makes the vendor supply independent certification that the tanks are clean and water free annually to them.

I would think that that alone accounts for mostly trouble free fuel supply. The additive is just something that sells to the uneducated end user.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote