Old 06-27-2015, 08:52 AM   #21

City: MD
Vessel Name: Blue Yonder
Vessel Model: 37
I don't know if a fuel additive helps performance in a marine diesel. I had a problem with asphaltenes in the fuel and used Stanadyne on the recommendation of a Cummins mechanic. The only evidence I have that an additive may help diesel performance is in my diesel automobile. Fuel economy goes from 36mpg at 80 mph to a little over 38 mpg at the same speed when using Stanadyne. What is that fuel additive doing?
BlueYonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 10:33 AM   #22
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Post #12 by Ski is great. The most amazing thing is it's all there expressed clearly and comprehensive w just a few words. I agree ... "done".

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 11:03 AM   #23
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
We're off on this argument over a question that has an erroneous assumption to start with. That assumption is that Valvtect costs $0.70 extra per gallon. Well it doesn't. So question null and void.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 11:29 AM   #24
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgitug View Post
Is it worth a 70 cent per gallon premium? If so why?
Here's the original question and it's a valid one. He wants to know if it's worth it to pay the premium and why.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 11:49 AM   #25
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Here's the original question and it's a valid one. He wants to know if it's worth it to pay the premium and why.
But there isn't a premium...If someone was charging $0.70 more it wasn't because they had Valvtect. Valvtect is available at the same prices as other diesel.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 01:24 PM   #26
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
But there isn't a premium...If someone was charging $0.70 more it wasn't because they had Valvtect. Valvtect is available at the same prices as other diesel.
How do you know why they're charging more? And does it matter? Not all marinas price their fuel the same. Frankly, I'm surprised you're suggesting that ValvTect fuel is the same price as non-VT fuel. I buy ValvTect fuel at Pittsburg Marina often and it's usually CHEAPER than other marinas. But none of this matters to the OP's question because apparently he sees a difference of $0.70 for the VT diesel.

Maybe this makes more sense...

Marina A charges $2.80 for diesel without ValvTect and Marina B charges $3.50 for diesel with ValvTect. There is no other discernible difference between the two. Is it worth it to pay more to get the ValvTect?

We don't know why the price difference but that's not germane to the question.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote