Diesel Next-Gen Rebuild Cost

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BillZe

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Migration
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 34 Double Cabin Yacht Trawler
I am in the process of purchasing a 1974 Marine Trader Double Cabin 34' and the generator has been removed and I was told it needs to be rebuilt after taking water in the head. My question is, does anyone know what price range I will be in to have it rebuilt?

The starting point is a new 5.5 Nextgen for $7K on ebay. A rebuild is a guessing game until both motor and genset are torn down. Ski is the TF genset expert. Bet he'll weigh in.

Many small generators use throw away engines and generators. Often parts are not available. I have a 14kw Onan that they don't sell engine parts for. If you're determined, sometimes custom engine rebuilders can find parts.
If the boat didn't sink, the water in the head could be from a cracked block/head or bad head gasket. But head gaskets fail for a reason. It may have hydraulic locked and bent the rods. There is no easy answer on rebuilding an unseen engine.

The 3.5Kw version uses a very popular Kubota EA300 engine. You might be able to find an old garden tractor with one and swap out the marine parts. Even buying a new engine might be cheaper than rebuilding.

If you do any of the above make sure you have the latest exhaust elbow from NextGen. The older one let sea water back into the engine which might be why it failed.

David

Last edited:
I have recovered many gensets that died from water backing up the exhaust. It should be a basic Kubota engine that has parts available from all over, tractor shops are the best.

If a gennie showed up in my shop with water damage, it was usually 2-3k to get it back in shape. Most of them did not require re-boring, if it did cost might go up a bit due to needing machine shop and new pistons. If it did not sit too long since the event, bores could be cleaned by honing and original pistons with new rings go in. New valves and seat work in any case.

If it is a real mess, then going new with warranty is often worth the money.

I just took my nextgen off, Took it to a Kubota shop and 675$ later it’s good as new. High pressure injection pump shims. If yours is the engine end, Kubota engines are rugged and rebuildable. But if it went underwater and it’s both the engine and the generator head just buy a new one. I searched EBay. $ 5,700 brand new for nextgen 3.5kw. (Plus install).

Experience on rebuilding counts!!

A marina "mechanic" may be able to get an engine back to operating condition, but the folks needed for a rebuild are the ones that rebuild for their living.

The big truck reefer folks see Yanmars and Kubotas by the bushel basket, I would start there to see if they service what you have.

A running take out engine can be had for a few hundred bucks ,if its the same as your boat unit you are home free.

Experience on rebuilding counts!!
e.

That’s why I took mine to a Kubota dealer. The engine is a Kubota. Says so right in the Manual.

Negotiate. Knock 10,000 off the price you are offering to buy a new generator. You don't own it yet, you don't really want to buy a broken generator.

3500 watts is too small for the noise it will make. 8000 minimum, IMHO.

I had a 5K next gen go under water on my old boat back in 2005. I had the motor end rebuilt, for about 2K, if I recall correctly. The electrical end went bad two years later, so I took it off, bought a new one from next gen and bolted it on. The end was also around 2K, I think. It worked really well, but I wasn't very far below the cost of a new genny at that point....

Thank you everyone! You gave me a good place to start!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom