Old 01-31-2012, 09:33 PM   #1
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Onan MDKD 6.5kw Genset - Fuel Solenoid

Sometimes it won`t start. Seeing the solenoid arm not pulling across. I pull it over by hand, the engine runs, and the solenoid arm stays where it should. Tired of visiting the ER to start it, I tried to buy a new solenoid but was told it is not available. Photo attached.

I`ve not yet dismantled it. Any tips on fixing it? Is a replacement available in USA?

(Importing parts from USA is often cheaper than buying here here,even with the freight for a Seakamp FL heat exchanger. A friend* imported Australian made "Ronstan"yacht parts, for much less than they cost* here, despite the return trip to USA!)

-- Edited by BruceK on Tuesday 31st of January 2012 11:56:08 PM
Attached Thumbnails
dsc_0977.jpg  
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:16 PM   #2
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Onan MDKD 6.5kw Genset - Fuel Solenoid

Could be a number of different things. It may just need to be taken off and cleaned.* Have a similar solenoid on my mains, only it's a fuel shutoff. Took it off and cleaned it and*tested it with a 12 volt battery and it*worked fine.* Reinstalled it and had the same problem, wouldn't shut the fuel valve totally.**Turned out to be a poor electrical connection between the remote*kill switch and solenoid which was causing a voltage drop that kept the solenoid from actuating all the way.

If you hit the start switch*on the generator will it actuate all the way?

Before giving up on it and*buying a new one,*I would take it off and clean it up first, get all the paint off of it*and test it off the engine.*

Link to the Generator service manual:

*http://www.cumminsonan.com/www/pdf/manuals/981-0502.pdf

Larry B

P.S. visit this discussion site.* They explain how this particular solenoid works and possible problems. Be sure and read all the way down.

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89089

-- Edited by Edelweiss on Wednesday 1st of February 2012 01:25:13 AM
Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:44 PM   #3
Guru

RE: Onan MDKD 6.5kw Genset - Fuel Solenoid

Quote:
Edelweiss wrote:
Could be a number of different things. It may just need to be taken off and cleaned.*

If you hit the start switch*on the generator will it actuate all the way?

Before giving up on it and*buying a new one,*I would take it off and clean it up first, get all the paint off of it*and test it off the engine.
*Thanks Larry. Same result using the remote cabin start button or the one at the genset, but I can get it going at the genset,as I described. After posting I found the Smokstak article. I`m having the manual downloaded today.

The only paint chipped screws on the engine are the bleed screw and the solenoid attachment ones, so someone has been there since painting (hopefully after a rebuild). I`ll take your advice to start by cleaning it up.

BruceK
Old 02-02-2012, 04:30 PM   #4
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 38'

I had same issue. Push on connectors needed cleaning and crimping. Now works OK.
Max Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:32 PM   #5
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH

The solenoid actually has two coils, one is the to pull in the linkage, the second is a hold in coil that draws much less current.* If the linkage is not correctly adjusted and does not pull in all the way, the coil will burn out eventually. Using an ohm meter, you should be able to determine if there is continuity in each coil.*

I had one burn out, and was able to go directly to the manufacturer of the solinoid rather than Onan.* I got lucky since the manufacturers tag was still attached.* Best of luck.........Arctic Traveller
Arctic Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:42 PM   #6
Guru

Thanks Guys. I cleaned/scraped/sanded both parts of the spade connectors, it`s better, starts about 50% of times without manual help,next I`ll take it apart. "If it`s no worse after I work on it I`ve done ok." BruceK