Descale Cat 3208 TA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seawolf

Descaling Cat 3208TAs:

How you avoided air pockets when soaking the system overnight with RydLyme? Or

How you connected a pump for reverse flow washing with Rydlyme?

Any opinions on either method? Thanks!

No Cats, but I circulate just like raw water. Either with a bucket, pump, and temporary ports or hot. Hot I use an old impeller, run the engine, same bucket, no pump. I run until the engine reaches 180°, then shut down and let it soak. It cleans much faster at temp.
Thinking of installing keel coolers at next haul out.

We did our last boat with Barnacle Buster. Didn’t leave it overnight but about 6 hours or so. Saw a 5 degree drop on one engine and 10 degree drop on the other engine. Just sucked it in and shutdown the engine. Started the engine after the 6 hour soak. Used a SeaFlush adapter to suck it in, worked great.

to Descale Cat 3208s

No Cats, but I circulate just like raw water. Either with a bucket, pump, and temporary ports or hot. Hot I use an old impeller, run the engine, same bucket, no pump. I run until the engine reaches 180°, then shut down and let it soak. It cleans much faster at temp.
Thinking of installing keel coolers at next haul out.
Thanks, Lepke! You heat the engine to 180, then suck in your Rydlyme, then let it soak for 6 hours, yes?
—Tom

I winter in fresh water, so by the time I Rydlyme flush, the engine has had a fresh flush. I have a 5 gal bucket and run a hose to my SW pump and another to the bucket from the exchanger. I start with cold solution, cold engine, use an old impeller, start the engine, run and circulate Rydlyme until 180°. Then shut down. Usually 1 time is enough. Every couple years I open up the HE to inspect. It's usually very clean.
When I'm cruising, I go into fresh water whenever I can to flush the engine. If possible I anchor for a few days to kill the sw organisms.

Back
Top Bottom