Decision: A single or two engines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mainship

First of all let me say that the Mainship is an excellent choice. I have a Mainship 400 Trawler with twin 240 Yanmars. I also have the optional bow thruster but seldom ever use it. The twins make docking a breeze. We've had ours for over a year now and love it - its a great boat for a cruising couple. We have done an extended cruise to the Bahamas from the west coast of Florida. Having the twins gave me peace of mind knowing that if one engine failed we would have the other one to get back. Personally I would not have a single engine boat if I planned to do any offshore boating. On another trip to Key West we ran into bad weather- 8-10 foot swells. I was amazed at how great the Mainship handled it. You may want to check out a 400 Trawler before you buy- it is like a 390 on steroids and probably not a lot more money. Good luck with your Mainship purchase and hope to see you out there some day.
Capt. Bill:thumb:

Twins are better.
They must be as so many trawlers are twins and one must pay for that additional engine. Money talks and in this case it’s say’in twins are better.

Twins are better.
They must be as so many trawlers are twins and one must pay for that additional engine. Money talks and in this case it’s say’in twins are better.

I sense a missing sarc tag.

First of all let me say that the Mainship is an excellent choice. I have a Mainship 400 Trawler with twin 240 Yanmars. I also have the optional bow thruster but seldom ever use it. The twins make docking a breeze. We've had ours for over a year now and love it - its a great boat for a cruising couple. We have done an extended cruise to the Bahamas from the west coast of Florida. Having the twins gave me peace of mind knowing that if one engine failed we would have the other one to get back. Personally I would not have a single engine boat if I planned to do any offshore boating. On another trip to Key West we ran into bad weather- 8-10 foot swells. I was amazed at how great the Mainship handled it. You may want to check out a 400 Trawler before you buy- it is like a 390 on steroids and probably not a lot more money. Good luck with your Mainship purchase and hope to see you out there some day.
Capt. Bill:thumb:

Bill,

Totally agree. When I was shopping I looked at the 34, 35, 39 and 400 and the 400 was clearly the choice. While I ended up with a single, next time it will be a twin.

I've crawled down into the engine from of a boat like your with the twin 240s, while tight on the outsides, not impossible. Sure, I'd like more room but willing to put up with it for the benefits of the twin.

Just in the last several days, a twin would have saved me 3 or 4 overnights waiting for weather... just to be able to get a position for the next leg. And a huge plus, I could have used the speed for a much more comfortable ride.

Don't need the speed often, but at times, the cost of the fuel doesn't matter. Just the extra days at a marina paid for it.

Question, how fast will your boat continuously cruise at your high speed cruise? Wide open?

Bill,

Totally agree. When I was shopping I looked at the 34, 35, 39 and 400 and the 400 was clearly the choice. While I ended up with a single, next time it will be a twin.

I've crawled down into the engine from of a boat like your with the twin 240s, while tight on the outsides, not impossible. Sure, I'd like more room but willing to put up with it for the benefits of the twin.

Just in the last several days, a twin would have saved me 3 or 4 overnights waiting for weather... just to be able to get a position for the next leg. And a huge plus, I could have used the speed for a much more comfortable ride.

Don't need the speed often, but at times, the cost of the fuel doesn't matter. Just the extra days at a marina paid for it.

Question, how fast will your boat continuously cruise at your high speed cruise? Wide open?

Little or no room on the outer sides of the engine? Get a boat with tip-outs. Problem solved. :) :rofl: :rofl:
Sorry.

Boat handling can be learned or fixed with thrusters.

That was never a concern of mine.

Being stranded some place I don't want to be is. The cost difference can add up quick and be a heck of an inconvenience. As posted before, it doesn't have to be throwing a crank that does it either....it can be something simple, yet not easy to fix or get a part for.

Put differently, the further from civilization you intend to travel, the more important the redundancy of twins (and of everything else, including fuel tanks and water makers and radars and gensets) becomes.

Working room around twins.....No problem....You just have to have them in a Defever engine room![emoji16] imagejpeg_0.jpeg

Working room around twins.....No problem....You just have to have them in a Defever engine room![emoji16]View attachment 80721

And they think it is neat too!!! They get to wear the ear muffs even if the engine are shut down.

Is he holding up a sign that reads, "I am trapped in the engine room and he wont let me out!!!"

And they think it is neat too!!! They get to wear the ear muffs even if the engine are shut down.

Is he holding up a sign that reads, "I am trapped in the engine room and he wont let me out!!!"
Ha! Yep, the grandsons love to spend time "workin' on the Deeres"!
They were very proud of the fuel polisher valve manifold they helped assemble. Couple more years and they'll be in charge of oil changes!

Ha! Yep, the grandsons love to spend time "workin' on the Deeres"!
They were very proud of the fuel polisher valve manifold they helped assemble. Couple more years and they'll be in charge of oil changes!

I will keep that in mind. SMILE

Back
Top Bottom