Dead Lehman 120

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Took the engine down to see if I could see why it seized. No such luck. Head was properly lubed so oil pump was working. No coolant in #6. No broken pistons either.... Must have seized a main bearing on the crank. Froze solid.

Attachments

• 20190622_112857.jpg
    20190622_112857.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 123
Opinion on Lehman 135 hours ?

For a Lehman 135, Given that all usual and customary maintenance was performed in a competent manner, what would be considered a “ high or excessive” hours reading.

I don't think anyone really knows the answer. Maintenance and use is everything but STILL anything made by people can fail at any time. If *I* were looking I would consider over 10000 hrs really getting up there.

Ken

Took the engine down to see if I could see why it seized. No such luck. Head was properly lubed so oil pump was working. No coolant in #6. No broken pistons either.... Must have seized a main bearing on the crank. Froze solid.
I see you have not posted since June. Did you find the reason for the seized engine?

Keep the post going. I am following with interest. My F.L. 120 did not seize but the top end was a mess, including the cam (lack of lubrication) I had it totally rebuilt in 2019. The final cost, including help with the in and out was a neat $20,000.

pete

Well, thanks for all your interest!

No, I did not dismember the old 120 anymore than before. I found a 2714e (108hp, same as the 2715e except a more fuel efficient pump) with a fresh head and brought it to a local diesel shop here in Tallahassee to freshen up the bottom. It's been sitting at the boatyard in Carrabelle for almost 2 months now waiting for them to install it... SUPPOSINGLY this week.... And yes, I've been paying storage while I'm waiting.

Sigh.

No problem. I've had other priorities this fall and it's been way too freeking hot to do anything anyway.:socool:

PS: The "suspected" fault may have been that the boat was drydocked w/o running here in my yard for about 5 yrs. "Believed" that maybe the main bearings went dry or corroded. When I'm allocated a few more hours in the day I will break down the bottom to see what actually happened.

So far the new engine owes me about $7K installed... Whenever that will be.

Last edited:
A lot of us are watching and hoping it works out well for you.

"No, I did not dismember the old 120 anymore than before"

SO were all lft hanging , wondering what caused the engine to stick?

Back
Top Bottom