Cummins venting/leak at pushrod cover?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Baker

TF Site Team/Forum Founder
Site Team
Vessel Name
Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Make
Meridian 411
Alright, envirovent installed. One of the things I was hoping would be cured by this thing was I was noticing crankcase gases escaping somewhere around or near or behind the injector pump assembly. It was quite evident that the Walker Airseps were not working properly(ie check valve stuck) and I had noticed these "vapors" quite awhile ago thinking that the on engine CCV was leaking gases from behind somewhere. Anyway, all of the vents are sealed off and the Envirovent is doing their jobs. And I am STILL noticing these CC gases from behind the injector pump. I was talking to Brendan at Seaboard with questions related to Envirovent and asked him about this. He said that it could possibly be the pushrod cover gasket leaking due to crankcase pressure caused by the malfunctioning Airsep.

Does this sound right and/or what could be other causes? I honestly am not questioning him because I know those dudes know their stuff. But just wondering if there might be other causes. THe really weird thing, and I did not mention this to him because you only remember so many questions when you have a live wire on the line, is that it only "appears" to be venting at LOW RPM...not high. And you can smell it when we come into the dock. You do not get that smell, or the misting vapors loaded up and running. Maybe it is near enough to the intake that the mist goes towards the intake/air cleaner and is sucked up by the engine??? Maybe there is a vacuum in that part of the engine at higher power settings and pressure at low settings??? Maybe the main vent becomes the path of least resistance at higher power settings????

Thanks in advance.....and that looks like a pain in the butt to get to behind the injector pump. If you respond and think this is the issue, I will take suggestions on strategies for correcting this issue.

Last edited:
Not uncommon for the tappet cover gasket to get pushed out of place if somehow crankcase got pressurized. PITA to fix depending on what injection pump is there, it may require removing pump. Later QSB blocks got rid of that cover, better late than never I guess.

Not uncommon for the tappet cover gasket to get pushed out of place if somehow crankcase got pressurized. PITA to fix depending on what injection pump is there, it may require removing pump. Later QSB blocks got rid of that cover, better late than never I guess.

Ski, what are your thoughts ref it only venting at low power settings??? Or do you just think there is enough suction for the main intake that it is sucking up every bit of those gases and then those gases vent to the atmosphere at low power settings...??? Hey, at the very least it is a continuous mist and no "puffing"...:whistling: :ermm: :blush:

If no oil leaking out of there, probably ok to just run with it.

If no oil leaking out of there, probably ok to just run with it.

There is a bit of oil...but not a lot. Not even enough to make it off of the block and into the bilge.

Baker, don't worry about it. The oil will keep the rust down. I had a set of 872 that were so covered in misting oil they could never rust. Kept an absorb pad under the engines just in case. Enjoy, have a beer!

Baker, don't worry about it. The oil will keep the rust down. I had a set of 872 that were so covered in misting oil they could never rust. Kept an absorb pad under the engines just in case. Enjoy, have a beer!

Have a beer?????....DAMMIT!!!!! I never thought of that!!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Tell your crew thank you very much for hosting!!! It was truly a pleasure to meet them!!!

It was our pleasure, Sir. We all had fun, next year Watfa is planning small hot meal plus booze.

It was our pleasure, Sir. We all had fun, next year Watfa is planning small hot meal plus booze.

Looking forward to it!!!

Back
Top Bottom