cummins solenoid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

porman

Guru
Vessel Name
Beach Music II
Vessel Make
2003 Mainship 430 Trawler
A friend of mine needs a stop solenoid for his early Cummins 6BT. This is the one that screws into the bottom of the injection pump. I see them online for as little as $32 and going up to several hundreds of dollars. Does anyone have a recommendation for a reliable replacement? Thanks.

Last edited:
Cummins has an upgrade for that solenoid,, includes the new bracket and bolts as well..>>>Dan

solenoid

This is the solenoid. Screws into the bottom of the injection pump. No bracket required.

Attachments

• 6BT_Fuel_Shutoff_Solenoid_2.jpg
    6BT_Fuel_Shutoff_Solenoid_2.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 26
A friend of mine needs a stop solenoid for his early Cummins 6BT. This is the one that screws into the bottom of the injection pump. I see them online for as little as $32 and going up to several hundreds of dollars. Does anyone have a recommendation for a reliable replacement? Thanks.

There have been a thread or two in the past about Cummins solenoids. They may all now be made in China and the ones on ebay.com and other places may not have passed the quality control checks before being sent to Cummins or may just be a cheap knockoff from the same Chinese manufacturer. Anyway, I wouldn't purchase one that doesn't have a warranty or sold by a reputable dealer. Unfortunately, many electrical engine parts aren't returnable, so it may pay to buy it from a local dealer.

Ted

ebay. They're cheap, about $50. Buy 2.

I went through 3 cheap solenoids from ebay. They leaked down through the solenoid and out the connection screw. I got religion and only by OEM Cummins parts. I went through the same problem with fuel pumps. You pay the price but they hold up better. 1989 6BT5.9M

Ebay Cummins parts: bought a fuel pump for a QSB on Ebay as it had all the Cummins corporate markings, was claimed to be genuine Cummins, but was about 1/2 Cummins price. Flat did not work - drew about 3x the amperage and caused an immediate overcurrent fault. Close inspection relieved many suspicious signs of copy.

Moral: there are a LOT of fake, cheap, Chinese knockoffs of Cummins parts on Ebay. Buyer beware. You may go through several and then end up having to pay Cummins anyway.

Thanks everyone. I'll tell him to get a factory original part.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom