Old 02-17-2020, 07:22 PM   #1

City: San Pedro
42 Californian engine mounts

Hello all,

I just purchased a 1979 42 Californian LRC, great boat and I’m super excited. I’m going through the motions of getting her ship shape. I have new engine mounts for the CAT3208 NA’s as they have sagged over the years. I’m planning on using some blocks and 1/4” plate to make a flat surface/spread the load on the hull and jack the engines up up one end at a time. I plan on having all the hardware clean and lose before attempting to lift the engine. I also intend on separating shaft from the engine prior. Anyone completed a similar task?

Thanks,

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
7DDBC906-D1AE-4836-B422-84DE61BE56F6.jpg   C641F346-5B52-4799-8771-54C4D9BE58AE.jpg   C5C61773-FC6C-4267-A7F1-38A936732FA2.jpg  
MattyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 04:33 AM   #2
Guru

City: South Florida
Some engine mounts are available with removable studs or come disassembled. When this is the case you only have to jack the engine 1/4"-1/2", use a saw to cut the stud between the bracket and the mount, slide out old and slide in new and thread the new stud in from on top through the bracket.

Depending on your packing gland arrangement and shaft length from gear flange to gland you may not even have to disconnect the shaft.

If you don't have a style mount with removable stud, as well as the shaft you may need to disconnect the exhaust at some connection. Typically electric and water to pump can tolerate enough movement that you only have to watch them as you jack the engine.

Often its easier to do front or back 2 at a time and not all 4 at once. Also if you can jack with load on the stringer and not the hull, or use a chain lift from a reinforced overhead connection, it is much better than on the hull.

Going back in with same / same mounts is always easiest, and change in brand/size often opens a can of worms

$0.02
Keysdisease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 12:28 PM   #3
Guru

City: San Diego, CA
Vessel Name: Second Chance
Vessel Model: 42' Uniflite Double Cabin
It looks to me like they could be changed without having to lift the engine. You'd need to support it, certainly but with supporting it, you can unbolt the engine mount brackets themselves from the engine along with the isolation mount you want to replace. In the back, it looks like the mounting plate could be unbolted from the stringer, again only needing to support the engine but not really lift it.

Whether attempting it that way is easier than lifting is up to you to decide.
sbman is offline   Reply With Quote