Cummins 6BT 5.9L-M starter removal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would find another mechanic, removing a starter on any engine is pretty basic work.

I agree with the comment about the mechanics, I'll bet even our Prime Minister could get that starter off (I'm kidding, Little Potato gets drool on his tie, he could never accomplish anything like that).

Cummins Part #: 3903834
Fits 1994-2007 5.9L Cummins only. These DO NOT work with a starter spacer.
They are M10x1.5x35mm long.
Replacement starter bolts, takes 3 to replace all.

Spline drive works on 6, 12, spline drive bolts.
I dont have any spline drive since I have never needed any yet.

Spline drive is not the answer to everything. Using spline drive on a 4 or 6 pt bolt is not proper. There is not enough contact area in high torque applications. They are very handy to have when you are caught with out the correct tool. If the bolt has already been stripped by some one using an incorrect tool, spline can often save the day.

While I have a set of spline drive wrenches on board, they are not my go to wrench.

I'm new to this site so forgive me if I'm doing something in error. You need to find someone that has a heat induction tool. It looks like a wand with a wire loop on the end. You put the loop around the bolt head and it heats up the bolt cherry red. Then you use the proper socket or an extractor socket on the bolt head to remove it. These heat induction tools are used a lot to remove stripped lug nuts on custom wheels so the wheels don't get damaged. They run $300 to $400 if you have to buy one, but it maybe the cheaper option.

Hope this helps!

Odd you should mention a 4 pt head. Not on my boat that I know of but on my brand new kitchen tap set.

I also ran into them when I used to work on some of the plastic injection moulding machines although they were plugs for drains or fillers. But they were present so I got 8 pt sockets to deal with them as i needed.

12 point bolt is the same as 6 pt bolt in respect to clearance. In other words 10mm is 10 mm regardless of points. 12 point does allow more torque before failure when tightening.

I was being funny about the qualified mechanic

The vast majority of 12pt bolts use a smaller head than the same size thread 6pt. Take 1/2"-13. STD head size for 6pt is 3/4" same bolt in 12 pt uses a 1/2" head.

Cummins 6BT 5.9L-M starter removal update

I have posted a similar update under: "Engine starter options." The original starter has been replaced by a Wilson reman starter purchased from the local NAPA Auto Parts store; Wilson P/N: 91-01-4313.
The head of the third starter bolt was stripped. It is tucked up behind the starter next to the engine block. I was able to remove the stripped bolt using a fiberoptic video camera and an extractor socket. The right tools make all the difference in getting the job done. That is another lesson that my Dad tried to teach me.:banghead:
Thanks to all the TF members for your comments and advice.

Back
Top Bottom