Cummins 5.9 water pump access

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Durant F

Guru
Vessel Name
Emma B
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 32/34
This may have already been covered somewhere, if so, I couldn’t find. Wondering if a solution been found to repair or replace the water pump without removing the port side engine mount?
Thanks

Don’t know if it will help or not but Sbmar.com sells a replacement water pump for the B and C series Cummins that may, or may not, be able to do what you want. Maybe give them a call and ask.

which motor?

which raw pump?

M71 does not require motor mount removal for either the impellor housing take off nor the entire pump take off.

Just be sure to have proper gaskets for re-install. Also, use anti=sieze on the impellor shaft

Sbmar told me there was no replacement for this pump on my 6bt. I was looking for one with access to the impellor without having to remove the pump.

Attachments

• IMG_20220220_135708__01.jpg
    IMG_20220220_135708__01.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 19
As Comodave said, go to sbmar.com. Look under Tony's Tips for info regarding this engine and pump removal. If memory serves, on most installs the port motor mount does have to be removed to gain access to this pump for removal. Not needed in most cases for impeller changes. However, there are "modifications" that he outlines that can be done to eliminate this issue for future (further) removals.
Seaboard Marine's website has lots of great, free info regarding these (and other) engines. He does sell parts and service, but offers lots of great info and experience.
No affiliation, just a thankful, former customer.
Good luck.

Thanks firehoser
I’ll look at those “tips”
As you seem to know, it’s a PITA
?

Your pic shows an M71 sherwood pump.

3 stainless bolts hold the impellor housing to the pump body. The heads of the bolts face the bow.

While they are a bit tricky to access, you can get all 3 with an open end wrench.

Remove the bolts & the housing can be wiggled off. Recommend removing the raw water hoses first.

If the impellor is not corroded on the pump shaft, it may come out with the housing.

Notice some gaskets as you dissemble, as they will need to be replaced, Also, it looks like the 'green' around the plate indicates some leakage.

I usually get 800 hrs out of one of these pumps, and replace the impellor as needed, with annual viewing of the impellor. If any vanes are brittle or cracked, out with the old.

usually get 2-300 hrs out of an impellor over 2 seasons.

Anti sieze on the shaft when re-installing a new impellor

This is not about impellers ��
That is the easy pump
Thanks Firehoser ��

Yes, its an M71. Im just whining because for several decades with a POS VolvoPenta I became used to simply removing one access plate and swapping out the impellor.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom