Old 09-19-2020, 04:22 PM   #1

City: Morehead City
Vessel Name: Seas The Day
Vessel Model: 2007 Mainship 400
Cost to Clean Fuel Injectors

My 2007 40' Mainship runs great. However, it is showing a little dark residue around the exhaust outlet. I am not at all interested in troubleshooting problems related to my single 370 Yanmar. So, I called a local mobile diesel repairman who has a good reputation. He said I should have my fuel injectors cleaned and that it would be $400 per injector of which there are 6. Somehow, that sounds awfully expensive for cleaning. Anyone have any advise for me? I'm in Eastern NC.

Seas The Day 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 05:05 PM   #2
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Welcome aboard. That seems waaay to much to me. Did he look at the engine or is this over the phone troubleshooting? I think maybe I would look for a different mechanic. $2400 if he has not looked at the engine seems like too much to throw on the wall and see if it sticks...

Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 05:47 PM   #3

He looked to see how many injectors and commented that their location made them easy enough to remove. I understood that he wil take them to a diesel repair shop for cleaning, pick them up when fininshed and reinstall. The $400 he quoted was for the repair shop and did not include his labor and service call fees. For that price it sounds to me like the repair shop is planning to either rebuild or replace them.
Old 09-19-2020, 05:57 PM   #4
Guru

Still seems very high at $400 per injector but maybe Yamnars are really expensive???
Old 09-19-2020, 06:15 PM   #5

I have heard nothing be good things about Yanmar related to performance and maintenance, which I gave great weight to when I bought the boat 2 years ago. It still runs great. Has less than 800 hours. I have kept up with the suggested maintenance items. My intuition kicked me hard as soon as he spoke the price. Just needed to see if anyone else thought it was rediculously high. Think I'll check around for a second opinion. Thanks for responding and stay safe. t
Old 09-19-2020, 06:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Miss Sheila
Vessel Model: 54 PAMA Pilothouse MY
I had my Yanmar 370hp injectors done in 2018. Local shop in Stuart FL. The parts had to come from Yanmar. He stated they were expensive and I also checked directly to my dealer to confirm. Total cost for 12 was $2850. I did the labor removing and re installing. It made a big difference in fuel burn and transom soot. Money well spent.
vacser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 06:42 PM   #7

City: San Diego
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacser View Post
I had my Yanmar 370hp injectors done in 2018. Local shop in Stuart FL. The parts had to come from Yanmar. He stated they were expensive and I also checked directly to my dealer to confirm. Total cost for 12 was $2850. I did the labor removing and re installing. It made a big difference in fuel burn and transom soot. Money well spent.
The OP is talking about CLEANING 6 injectors for $2400. You're talking about having 12 injectors DONE and the cost of parts shipped from Yanmar. It sounds like two very different "repairs" to my eyes. What does DONE mean to you and how does 12 compare to 6? What parts? I'm confused. To OP 800 hours doesn't seem like many hours, also $2400 is a lot of money but maybe Yanmars require different procedures.
Swfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 06:49 PM   #8

Still sounds like $2400 for 6, plus labor, is really expensive, even 2 years later. Idk, maybe that's the new covid price. Definitely going to get a second opinion.
Old 09-19-2020, 07:02 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Swfla, I was giving the OP an idea of what they should cost to rebuild. I am sure he can divide the $2850 by 2 to get the price of 6. In most cases on Yanmar injecters, there is no cleaning, the tips get worn out. There is no aftermarket tips, only Yanmar. Mine had 500 hours and did not pass the pop test. You do not have to be rude
Old 09-19-2020, 07:14 PM   #10
Guru

Well $1425 is a lot better than $2400. To the OP, I would look for another mechanic unless the price of Yanmar parts has skyrocketed.
Old 09-19-2020, 07:20 PM   #11

Thanks. Getting a second opinion at the very least. Any thoughts about fuel additives relates to injector cleaning?
Old 09-19-2020, 08:05 PM   #12

City: San Diego
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacser View Post
Swfla, I was giving the OP an idea of what they should cost to rebuild. I am sure he can divide the $2850 by 2 to get the price of 6. In most cases on Yanmar injecters, there is no cleaning, the tips get worn out. There is no aftermarket tips, only Yanmar. Mine had 500 hours and did not pass the pop test. You do not have to be rude
Sorry if I came across as rude. I genuinely thought Two different things were being discussed.You've now clarified things. If anything, I'm uninformed. I've seen a lot of crossed wires and misused terms on the forum. Just look at the confusion over moorage and docks, if you've been following that confusion of terms. Apparently cleaned and rebuilt are the same thing when discussing fuel injectors.
Swfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 08:31 PM   #13
Guru

City: Northport
For reference only we have done numerous injectors over the years and the prices were just about these when you remove and replace yourself:
$80/each - clean, regrind, set pressure
$110/each - clean , new tips , set pressure
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 05:33 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I agree with your prices Smitty. That is what I have paid for other engine injectors. I was shocked as was the injector shop at the cost of parts to rebuild these. He stated it the most expensive tips he had seen. Lucky me
Old 09-20-2020, 08:01 AM   #15
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
I had six F.L. injectors rebuilt for about $75 each. It was an extremely reliable, modern facility. State of the art shop.

The $400 price may have been for the total job, install and replace plus the rebuild. Or they may have been quoting you the cost of new injectors.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 08:34 AM   #16
FF
Guru

My fuel injector rebuild guy sez to try a treatment , it should work in the first hour or so,if it doesen't bring them in. Low cost and might work for you.

Stanadyne Performance Formula Diesel Fuel Additive.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 09:24 AM   #17
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
The cost of a factory Cummins injector is $285 each. I think that is Canadian. You can get Chinesium for about $20 each and I'd have to see them side-by-side but I'd bet money that Cummins uses Chinese injectors anyway.
Old 09-20-2020, 11:18 AM   #18
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Back when I had a Mercedes diesel car, I was told more than once, dont mess with the injectors until they give you problems. Now, if you feel uncomfortable following this advice, keep one or two complete injectors in the spare parts locker.
Old 09-21-2020, 03:49 AM   #19
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
Last time I had my Detroit injectors rebuilt it was $100 each. And Detroit injectors have a lot more parts than Yanmar. Somebody's making money.

You can take the injectors to the injector shop yourself and reinstalling injectors isn't rocket science. There's probably a YouTube video on it.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:06 AM   #20
Guru

City: Galveston, Texas
Vessel Model: 24" El Pescador
Quote:
I'd bet money that Cummins uses Chinese injectors anyway.

Best I recall injectors for Cummins common rail, QSC engine were about $600 each but if you bought them from Bosch (Cummins supplier) they were $500 each