Cost to Clean Fuel Injectors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Seas The Day
Vessel Make
2007 Mainship 400
My 2007 40' Mainship runs great. However, it is showing a little dark residue around the exhaust outlet. I am not at all interested in troubleshooting problems related to my single 370 Yanmar. So, I called a local mobile diesel repairman who has a good reputation. He said I should have my fuel injectors cleaned and that it would be $400 per injector of which there are 6. Somehow, that sounds awfully expensive for cleaning. Anyone have any advise for me? I'm in Eastern NC.

Welcome aboard. That seems waaay to much to me. Did he look at the engine or is this over the phone troubleshooting? I think maybe I would look for a different mechanic. $2400 if he has not looked at the engine seems like too much to throw on the wall and see if it sticks...

He looked to see how many injectors and commented that their location made them easy enough to remove. I understood that he wil take them to a diesel repair shop for cleaning, pick them up when fininshed and reinstall. The $400 he quoted was for the repair shop and did not include his labor and service call fees. For that price it sounds to me like the repair shop is planning to either rebuild or replace them.

Still seems very high at $400 per injector but maybe Yamnars are really expensive???

I have heard nothing be good things about Yanmar related to performance and maintenance, which I gave great weight to when I bought the boat 2 years ago. It still runs great. Has less than 800 hours. I have kept up with the suggested maintenance items. My intuition kicked me hard as soon as he spoke the price. Just needed to see if anyone else thought it was rediculously high. Think I'll check around for a second opinion. Thanks for responding and stay safe. t

I had my Yanmar 370hp injectors done in 2018. Local shop in Stuart FL. The parts had to come from Yanmar. He stated they were expensive and I also checked directly to my dealer to confirm. Total cost for 12 was $2850. I did the labor removing and re installing. It made a big difference in fuel burn and transom soot. Money well spent.

I had my Yanmar 370hp injectors done in 2018. Local shop in Stuart FL. The parts had to come from Yanmar. He stated they were expensive and I also checked directly to my dealer to confirm. Total cost for 12 was $2850. I did the labor removing and re installing. It made a big difference in fuel burn and transom soot. Money well spent.

The OP is talking about CLEANING 6 injectors for $2400. You're talking about having 12 injectors DONE and the cost of parts shipped from Yanmar. It sounds like two very different "repairs" to my eyes. What does DONE mean to you and how does 12 compare to 6? What parts? I'm confused. To OP 800 hours doesn't seem like many hours, also $2400 is a lot of money but maybe Yanmars require different procedures.

Last edited:
Still sounds like $2400 for 6, plus labor, is really expensive, even 2 years later. Idk, maybe that's the new covid price. [emoji3064][emoji849][emoji1] Definitely going to get a second opinion.

Swfla, I was giving the OP an idea of what they should cost to rebuild. I am sure he can divide the $2850 by 2 to get the price of 6. In most cases on Yanmar injecters, there is no cleaning, the tips get worn out. There is no aftermarket tips, only Yanmar. Mine had 500 hours and did not pass the pop test. You do not have to be rude

Well $1425 is a lot better than $2400. To the OP, I would look for another mechanic unless the price of Yanmar parts has skyrocketed.

Thanks. Getting a second opinion at the very least. Any thoughts about fuel additives relates to injector cleaning?

Swfla, I was giving the OP an idea of what they should cost to rebuild. I am sure he can divide the $2850 by 2 to get the price of 6. In most cases on Yanmar injecters, there is no cleaning, the tips get worn out. There is no aftermarket tips, only Yanmar. Mine had 500 hours and did not pass the pop test. You do not have to be rude

Sorry if I came across as rude. I genuinely thought Two different things were being discussed.You've now clarified things. If anything, I'm uninformed. I've seen a lot of crossed wires and misused terms on the forum. Just look at the confusion over moorage and docks, if you've been following that confusion of terms. Apparently cleaned and rebuilt are the same thing when discussing fuel injectors.

For reference only we have done numerous injectors over the years and the prices were just about these when you remove and replace yourself:
$80/each - clean, regrind, set pressure
$110/each - clean , new tips , set pressure

I agree with your prices Smitty. That is what I have paid for other engine injectors. I was shocked as was the injector shop at the cost of parts to rebuild these. He stated it the most expensive tips he had seen. Lucky me

I had six F.L. injectors rebuilt for about $75 each. It was an extremely reliable, modern facility. State of the art shop.

The $400 price may have been for the total job, install and replace plus the rebuild. Or they may have been quoting you the cost of new injectors.

pete

My fuel injector rebuild guy sez to try a treatment , it should work in the first hour or so,if it doesen't bring them in. Low cost and might work for you.

Stanadyne Performance Formula Diesel Fuel Additive.

The cost of a factory Cummins injector is $285 each. I think that is Canadian. You can get Chinesium for about $20 each and I'd have to see them side-by-side but I'd bet money that Cummins uses Chinese injectors anyway.

Back when I had a Mercedes diesel car, I was told more than once, dont mess with the injectors until they give you problems. Now, if you feel uncomfortable following this advice, keep one or two complete injectors in the spare parts locker.

Last edited:
Last time I had my Detroit injectors rebuilt it was $100 each. And Detroit injectors have a lot more parts than Yanmar. Somebody's making money.

You can take the injectors to the injector shop yourself and reinstalling injectors isn't rocket science. There's probably a YouTube video on it.

I'd bet money that Cummins uses Chinese injectors anyway.

Best I recall injectors for Cummins common rail, QSC engine were about $600 each but if you bought them from Bosch (Cummins supplier) they were $500 each

Any diesel is going to make a bit of a sooty mess around exhaust outlet. And the Yanmar 370 is a bit on the messy side. Common rail, much cleaner.

If engine runs well and creates no visible smoke at cruise, I would not mess with it.

I do not replace or rebuild injectors unless there is a clear symptom indicating the need. A bit of soot around a tailpipe is not such a symptom. Heavy smoke or a misfire is.

Yanmar additive

Some Yanmars, like my 4lh-ste's, were designed with 44 cetane (the world standard), and will smoke and create some soot when run on US 40 Cetane standard diesel. I found 'Diesel Kleen' from Walmart helps a lot on mine.

The cost of a factory Cummins injector is $285 each. I think that is Canadian. You can get Chinesium for about $20 each and I'd have to see them side-by-side but I'd bet money that Cummins uses Chinese injectors anyway.

Yep, seen them for around the $20 for our 855

We got some end cap gaskets in from Cummins China
$285 each in Australia vs $9 each from China.
Had a lifetime supply here within a week, traking all the way.

Best I recall injectors for Cummins common rail, QSC engine were about $600 each but if you bought them from Bosch (Cummins supplier) they were $500 each

10 for $320 from China

https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...pm=a2700.7724857.normalList.92.70792c4dQ3Qbq6

Last edited:
Any diesel is going to make a bit of a sooty mess around exhaust outlet. And the Yanmar 370 is a bit on the messy side. Common rail, much cleaner.

If engine runs well and creates no visible smoke at cruise, I would not mess with it.

I do not replace or rebuild injectors unless there is a clear symptom indicating the need. A bit of soot around a tailpipe is not such a symptom. Heavy smoke or a misfire is.

I agree with Ski, and he knows of which he speaks. As an aside, Tony Athens of sbmar.com, a very respected marine diesel expert also thinks along those lines. Check out the info on his site. Mostly Cummins related, but Yanmar discussed as well.

My 2007 40' Mainship runs great. However, it is showing a little dark residue around the exhaust outlet. I am not at all interested in troubleshooting problems related to my single 370 Yanmar. So, I called a local mobile diesel repairman who has a good reputation. He said I should have my fuel injectors cleaned and that it would be $400 per injector of which there are 6. Somehow, that sounds awfully expensive for cleaning. Anyone have any advise for me? I'm in Eastern NC.

What load have you been running at? Have you attained the specified underway RPM at wide open throttle?

Cleaning Yanmar I njector

A quick search--new injectors for your 8LV-370 run about $200 apiece.

My boat is in Hawaii where nothing boating is cheap. I paid $350 for a rebuild and cleaning of four injectors.

Back when I had a Mercedes diesel car, I was told more than once, dont mess with the injectors until they give you problems. Now, if you feel uncomfortable following this advice, keep one or two complete injectors in the spare parts locker.

This is basically the same advise I got from a diesel shop in Houma, LA. If no smoke when warm, you’re good. Smoke at cold start is, or can be, normal. And that’s how my Perkins operates, no smoke when engine is warmed up. Another interesting fact I found when looking into injector cleaning was the lack of diesel shops in my area; there are none (Baton Rouge). That’s how I ended up talking with a guy in Houma. Lots of workboats and fishboats in that area.

Back
Top Bottom