Old 09-21-2020, 07:19 PM   #21
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Any diesel is going to make a bit of a sooty mess around exhaust outlet. And the Yanmar 370 is a bit on the messy side. Common rail, much cleaner.

If engine runs well and creates no visible smoke at cruise, I would not mess with it.

I do not replace or rebuild injectors unless there is a clear symptom indicating the need. A bit of soot around a tailpipe is not such a symptom. Heavy smoke or a misfire is.

Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 01:58 PM   #22
Veteran Member

City: Stuart
Vessel Name: Passport
Vessel Model: Mainship Sedan Bridge
Yanmar additive

Some Yanmars, like my 4lh-ste's, were designed with 44 cetane (the world standard), and will smoke and create some soot when run on US 40 Cetane standard diesel. I found 'Diesel Kleen' from Walmart helps a lot on mine.

bykpjfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 01:58 PM   #23
Veteran Member

City: Victoria BC
Vessel Name: Tiffany
Vessel Model: Apollo 32
Fuel additive that works

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seas The Day 1 View Post
Thanks. Getting a second opinion at the very least. Any thoughts about fuel additives relates to injector cleaning?

Products from Cost Effective maintenance, an Australian company, work well if the injectors are dirty and not overly worn. They have a US distributor. The fuel treatment worked on my perkins and added 10% better fuel economy on my Westfalia. https://costeffective.com.au/product...uel-treatment/
Tiffany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 03:45 PM   #24
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
The cost of a factory Cummins injector is $285 each. I think that is Canadian. You can get Chinesium for about $20 each and I'd have to see them side-by-side but I'd bet money that Cummins uses Chinese injectors anyway.
Yep, seen them for around the $20 for our 855

We got some end cap gaskets in from Cummins China
$285 each in Australia vs $9 each from China.
Had a lifetime supply here within a week, traking all the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktdtx View Post
Best I recall injectors for Cummins common rail, QSC engine were about $600 each but if you bought them from Bosch (Cummins supplier) they were $500 each
10 for $320 from China

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...70792c4dQ3Qbq6
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 04:37 PM   #25
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Any diesel is going to make a bit of a sooty mess around exhaust outlet. And the Yanmar 370 is a bit on the messy side. Common rail, much cleaner.

If engine runs well and creates no visible smoke at cruise, I would not mess with it.

I do not replace or rebuild injectors unless there is a clear symptom indicating the need. A bit of soot around a tailpipe is not such a symptom. Heavy smoke or a misfire is.

I agree with Ski, and he knows of which he speaks. As an aside, Tony Athens of sbmar.com, a very respected marine diesel expert also thinks along those lines. Check out the info on his site. Mostly Cummins related, but Yanmar discussed as well.
Old 09-25-2020, 05:16 PM   #26
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seas The Day 1 View Post
My 2007 40' Mainship runs great. However, it is showing a little dark residue around the exhaust outlet. I am not at all interested in troubleshooting problems related to my single 370 Yanmar. So, I called a local mobile diesel repairman who has a good reputation. He said I should have my fuel injectors cleaned and that it would be $400 per injector of which there are 6. Somehow, that sounds awfully expensive for cleaning. Anyone have any advise for me? I'm in Eastern NC.
What load have you been running at? Have you attained the specified underway RPM at wide open throttle?
rgano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 05:49 PM   #27
Veteran Member

City: New Bern
Vessel Name: Southern Lady
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 1971 Woodie
Cleaning Yanmar I njector

A quick search--new injectors for your 8LV-370 run about $200 apiece.
omoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:05 PM   #28

City: Hawaii
My boat is in Hawaii where nothing boating is cheap. I paid $350 for a rebuild and cleaning of four injectors.
ProMaritime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 06:19 AM   #29
FF
Guru

Have you looked at Alibaba?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 08:13 AM   #30
Guru

City: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Old School
Vessel Model: 38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Back when I had a Mercedes diesel car, I was told more than once, dont mess with the injectors until they give you problems. Now, if you feel uncomfortable following this advice, keep one or two complete injectors in the spare parts locker.
This is basically the same advise I got from a diesel shop in Houma, LA. If no smoke when warm, you’re good. Smoke at cold start is, or can be, normal. And that’s how my Perkins operates, no smoke when engine is warmed up. Another interesting fact I found when looking into injector cleaning was the lack of diesel shops in my area; there are none (Baton Rouge). That’s how I ended up talking with a guy in Houma. Lots of workboats and fishboats in that area.
Gulf Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 11:37 AM   #31
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Which Yanmar do you have? The Yanmar 6LY2 series, new injectors are around $250 each.

Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote