Cooling water intake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markpierce

Master and Commander
Vessel Name
Carquinez Coot
Vessel Make
penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
How vulnerable is your engine-cooling-water intake when going aground?* On mine, it is very possible for the intake to be packed with mud and bottom material taken into the cooling system if the boat leans to port.

Mark, senior dufus

-- Edited by markpierce on Friday 11th of November 2011 02:11:24 PM

Attachments

• water intake.jpg
    water intake.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 83
Is that just another gratuitous photograph or are you worried about getting mud on your zinc and a depth transducer?

Mine is a bit farther aft where the keel is much deeper and only about a foot off the side of the keel.

Hopefully you don't go aground, but you might have to be extra mindful of the water flow if you do.

JohnP

RickB wrote:
Is that just another gratuitous photograph or are you worried about getting mud on your zinc and a depth transducer?
********* Good point!*** JohnP

Old Stone wrote:

JohnP wrote:

RickB wrote:

Ditto, although if one does go aground, the first thing to do before even saying or thinking "Oh No" is shut her down!

True! The second thing to do would be to take some pictures to post :smile:

Is the silver object in the picture your water intake? *The one near the keel is a transducer?

If you go so hard aground that you lay that far over, you're not getting off under your own power anyway. *At that point, mud in your water intake is going to be the least of your problems.

Old Stone wrote:JohnP wrote:

RickB wrote:

Ditto, although if one does go aground, the first thing to do before even saying or thinking "Oh No" is shut her down!

*Shouldn't it read when you do go aground.
smile.gif
smile.gif

SD

I'm w Larry B on this one. Looks for sure like a transducer and a zinc. I'll bet your seawater pickup is further aft and fairly close to the keel. Follow your hoses inside the boat. I do'nt think Buehler would put the seawater PU way up there. You must have the boat in the water and are just look'in at pics.*

He posted a picture of his sea chest a few months ago, it looks like it is just an inch or so off the centerline in the engine room. It is hard to believe that it has not been photographed from outside several times already. :)

Speak'in of pics I wonder if he's look'in at Mermaids or Navaids in his avatar?

nomadwilly wrote:*I wonder if he's look'in at Mermaids or Navaids in his avatar?
*Maybe this ...

Attachments

• tankerbow.jpg
    tankerbow.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 64
Old Stone wrote:Just trying to be diplomatic. :no::no::no:
*Like they say; there are those who have and those who will.

Now I've done it.* The intake is on the starboard side of the keel!
<table class="genmed" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"><tbody><tr><td width="100">*</td><td width="40">
doh.gif
</td></tr></tbody></table>
Still searching for mermaids, or was it kayakers?*
<table class="genmed" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"><tbody><tr><td width="100">*</td><td width="40">
shocked.gif
</td></tr></tbody></table>

-- Edited by markpierce on Friday 11th of November 2011 01:15:21 PM

Attachments

• kayakers2.jpg
    kayakers2.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 87
RickB wrote:Old Stone wrote:Just trying to be diplomatic. :no::no::no:
*Like they say; there are those who have and those who will.

*2 1/2 years and I still haven't. Only came close twice.

Gonzo,

What does diplomatic mean anyway?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom