Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-09-2018, 07:29 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
City: Punta Gorda
Vessel Name: Adrift at Last
Vessel Model: Selene 53
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 104
Coolant filter change for Cummins

How do you shut off the coolant when changing the filter? 2004 Cummins 430 HP.
__________________
Advertisement

jsbraga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:23 AM   #2
Technical Guru
 
Ski in NC's Avatar
 
City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 6,183
Should be two valves on the filter head.
__________________

Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:17 AM   #3
Guru
 
ranger42c's Avatar
 
City: Annapolis
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 5,509
Yep, valve on each side of the filter. Dead obvious, on ours. Filter is inboard on our starboard engine, remote mounted to inboard side of our port engine.

-Chris
__________________
Chesapeake Bay, USA
ranger42c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 06:42 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
City: Punta Gorda
Vessel Name: Adrift at Last
Vessel Model: Selene 53
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 104
Correctemundo!!

Thanks guys, I went back and found the 2 shutoff valves. Thanx!

Next: Is their only 1 zinc and located in the housing of the after cooler tank?
jsbraga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 07:23 PM   #5
Newbie
 
City: Huntington
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 4
I have the 5.9l 330 and has 2 on the aftercooler for zincs. I believe the 430 is very similar.
Sbmar.com, Seaboard Marine, is very helpful.
Surface Interval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:50 AM   #6
Veteran Member
 
City: Belgrade
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 44
Two valves even on my old type V-504 Cummins.

Just to ask one more question when already speaking of coolant filter, is it necessary to use coolant filter with SCA when using new OAT antifreeze since I do have problem finding those filters with SCA in my country, but I can find the ones without SCA. Did find one with SCA but with higher amount than I need.
Nidza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:29 AM   #7
Guru
 
ranger42c's Avatar
 
City: Annapolis
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 5,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbraga View Post
Thanks guys, I went back and found the 2 shutoff valves. Thanx!

Next: Is their only 1 zinc and located in the housing of the after cooler tank?

Three zincs. One on the forward starboard side of the heat exchanger. One on top and one on bottom of the aftercooler. In ours, the one at the bottom of the aftercooler shows the most wear; the other two, hardly any wear at all.

-Chris
__________________
Chesapeake Bay, USA
ranger42c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:31 AM   #8
Guru
 
ranger42c's Avatar
 
City: Annapolis
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 5,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidza View Post
Just to ask one more question when already speaking of coolant filter, is it necessary to use coolant filter with SCA when using new OAT antifreeze since I do have problem finding those filters with SCA in my country, but I can find the ones without SCA. Did find one with SCA but with higher amount than I need.

Hmmm.... I don't know what SCA or OAT is... Others can comment.

But I can say I just use Cummins filters, assuming they're appropriate by definition. With the recommended Fleetguard coolant.

-Chris
__________________
Chesapeake Bay, USA
ranger42c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:34 AM   #9
Technical Guru
 
Ski in NC's Avatar
 
City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 6,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidza View Post
Two valves even on my old type V-504 Cummins.

Just to ask one more question when already speaking of coolant filter, is it necessary to use coolant filter with SCA when using new OAT antifreeze since I do have problem finding those filters with SCA in my country, but I can find the ones without SCA. Did find one with SCA but with higher amount than I need.
The coolant filter with SCA needs to be compatible with the coolant you use. The filter SCA slowly releases to replace the SCA loaded in the coolant as it depletes. If the coolant uses a different corrosion inhibitor chemistry, then the filter is not compatible. Look up the OAT coolant for details on its chemistry or contact the vendor. There are filters available with no SCA.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:59 AM   #10
Veteran Member
 
City: Belgrade
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
The coolant filter with SCA needs to be compatible with the coolant you use. The filter SCA slowly releases to replace the SCA loaded in the coolant as it depletes. If the coolant uses a different corrosion inhibitor chemistry, then the filter is not compatible. Look up the OAT coolant for details on its chemistry or contact the vendor. There are filters available with no SCA.
Thank you Ski! I will contact the vendors.
Nidza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 06:33 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
City: Punta Gorda
Vessel Name: Adrift at Last
Vessel Model: Selene 53
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 104
Zincs

Thanks for all the great help!! You guys are really good resources. The lower after cooler zinc is in good shape. I have to check for the others now.
__________________

jsbraga is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×