Coolant filter change for Cummins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jsbraga

Vessel Name
Adrift at Last
Vessel Make
Selene 53
How do you shut off the coolant when changing the filter? 2004 Cummins 430 HP.

Should be two valves on the filter head.

Yep, valve on each side of the filter. Dead obvious, on ours. Filter is inboard on our starboard engine, remote mounted to inboard side of our port engine.

-Chris

Correctemundo!!

Thanks guys, I went back and found the 2 shutoff valves. Thanx!

Next: Is their only 1 zinc and located in the housing of the after cooler tank?

I have the 5.9l 330 and has 2 on the aftercooler for zincs. I believe the 430 is very similar.
Sbmar.com, Seaboard Marine, is very helpful.

Two valves even on my old type V-504 Cummins.

Just to ask one more question when already speaking of coolant filter, is it necessary to use coolant filter with SCA when using new OAT antifreeze since I do have problem finding those filters with SCA in my country, but I can find the ones without SCA. Did find one with SCA but with higher amount than I need.

Thanks guys, I went back and found the 2 shutoff valves. Thanx!

Next: Is their only 1 zinc and located in the housing of the after cooler tank?

Three zincs. One on the forward starboard side of the heat exchanger. One on top and one on bottom of the aftercooler. In ours, the one at the bottom of the aftercooler shows the most wear; the other two, hardly any wear at all.

-Chris

Just to ask one more question when already speaking of coolant filter, is it necessary to use coolant filter with SCA when using new OAT antifreeze since I do have problem finding those filters with SCA in my country, but I can find the ones without SCA. Did find one with SCA but with higher amount than I need.

Hmmm.... I don't know what SCA or OAT is... Others can comment.

But I can say I just use Cummins filters, assuming they're appropriate by definition. With the recommended Fleetguard coolant.

-Chris

Last edited:
Two valves even on my old type V-504 Cummins.

The coolant filter with SCA needs to be compatible with the coolant you use. The filter SCA slowly releases to replace the SCA loaded in the coolant as it depletes. If the coolant uses a different corrosion inhibitor chemistry, then the filter is not compatible. Look up the OAT coolant for details on its chemistry or contact the vendor. There are filters available with no SCA.

The coolant filter with SCA needs to be compatible with the coolant you use. The filter SCA slowly releases to replace the SCA loaded in the coolant as it depletes. If the coolant uses a different corrosion inhibitor chemistry, then the filter is not compatible. Look up the OAT coolant for details on its chemistry or contact the vendor. There are filters available with no SCA.

Thank you Ski! I will contact the vendors.

Zincs

Thanks for all the great help!! You guys are really good resources. The lower after cooler zinc is in good shape. I have to check for the others now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom