Old 08-19-2019, 11:52 AM   #1

City: Sassafras River, Maryland
Vessel Name: Seventh Sojourn
Vessel Model: Mainship 400
Changing Separ Fuel Filters question

Feeling kind of stupid at the moment. I wanted to change fuel filters for the first time since owning the boat. I loosened the wing nuts on the lid and fuel started seeping out, making a mess. I had not shut off the fuel supply beforehand.

I replaced the lid and stopped the overflow so I was hoping someone who has these units can give me any insight. I assume that I should shut off the fuel source before trying again. Do I need to drain the bowl as well?

I tried to turn the yellow knob for the drain and it doesn't want to move in either direction. Should it turn counter-clockwise to open the valve?

TIA
Attached Thumbnails
Separ Filters.jpg  

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most. E.B. White
garmstro55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 12:09 PM   #2
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
What do the people at the phone number on the filter say to do? The dealer........?
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 02:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
What do the people at the phone number on the filter say to do? The dealer........?
Why would I call them when I have hundreds of experts right here! Just kidding, actually I found the instructions, step one says "Turn off fuel supply" which I stupidly didn't do.

What I am most interested in, though, is if someone has a similar situation to see if they had the same problem and/or recommendations for making less of a mess the next time.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most. E.B. White
Old 08-19-2019, 04:04 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I am not familiar with your filters but with my Racors I turn off the fuel supply. Then take the top off and remove the filter element and stick in a new element. Then I crack the supply open and the filter will gravity fill. When the fuel is almost to the top I close the supply valve and then replace the top. I don’t drain the bottom unless I see something in there.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 05:32 PM   #5
STB
Guru

City: Gulf coast
Here is the instruction manual for that filter:
-- http://separfilter.com/_literature_2..._Series_Manual

The manual gives the following procedure:

1. Turn off the engine. In switchable filters it is sufficient if you switch to the other filter.
2. Close, if available, the shut off valve before the filter.
3. Open the bleed screw on the filter lid.
4. Open the drain valve. Water and dirt are flushed out of the bowl. Leave the drain valve open as long until cleaned fuel leaks. Collect liquids in a container and dispose according to the local regulations.
5. Close the drain valve and the bleed screw (observe the tightening torque, s. chap. 9.1).
6. Loosen the screws on top of the filterlid in multiple turns and crosswise. Otherwise damage may be caused to the lid.
7. Take off the lid. Remove the springcassette. Lift the filter element at the bracket located at the element out of the filter. Dispose the filter element according to the requirements in chapture 12.
8. Insert the new filter element. It is important to make sure that the sealing surface is the bottom and the “Separ” logo represents the front.
9. Insert the spring cassette.
10. Replace if necessary the lid seal and hold the sealing surface of the filter housing and the lid seal clean. If a new gasket is not on hand, make sure that the seal is free from particles and slightly greased to ensure a perfect seal.
11. Put the lid back to its previous position and tighten the cover screws crosswise (observe the tightening torque, s. chap. 9.1) to prevent damage and leaks.
12. After the system has been primed, the engine can be restarted (s. chap. 8).
STB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 05:38 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Wow, that is quite an involved process. Sounds much more difficult than a Racor. Nice that you were able to provide the instructions.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 06:57 PM   #7
Guru

City: Philadelphia
Vessel Name: Dreamers Holiday
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
I have these. Yes, you need to close your supply valve before removing the cover. Also, push in and turn the yellow valve when draining the bowl. the bowl does not need to be drained when removing the top cover. After changing the element and installing the cover, open the fuel supply. There is a plug on top of the cover. Loosen the plug to bleed the air.
John
johnma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 06:23 AM   #8
FF
Guru

Sounds like your fuel tanks are above the filters.

This is the best configuration as gravity , not pumps and a prayer , will refill after a filter change , or running out of fuel.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnma View Post
I have these. Yes, you need to close your supply valve before removing the cover. Also, push in and turn the yellow valve when draining the bowl. the bowl does not need to be drained when removing the top cover. After changing the element and installing the cover, open the fuel supply. There is a plug on top of the cover. Loosen the plug to bleed the air.
John
Ah, now I see, this makes perfect sense. Thanks a bunch John, and all the others.