CAV Filter adapter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I must be missing something. Isnt the “drainback vave” there to simply insure only filtered oil drains out of the filter? Obviously, the filter has two ports, and only one of them has a valve. Only a port side up filter will stay full. ??

:)

I must be missing something. Isnt the “drainback vave” there to simply insure only filtered oil drains out of the filter? Obviously, the filter has two ports, and only one of them has a valve. Only a port side up filter will stay full. ??
The valve is there to keep the filter full to prevent dry starts on motors that don't have their filters mounted with the screw-on side on top. Even a horizontal mount will drain back without a valve, at least partially.

The valve is there to keep the filter full to prevent dry starts on motors that don't have their filters mounted with the screw-on side on top. Even a horizontal mount will drain back without a valve, at least partially.

But when i take off my side mount or top mount valved filters, i can remove most of their contained oil by simply turning it upside down or even sideways.
A good oil change involves a very recently run engine. Thus, a high chance little oil and makeup air has had time to move much volume.

I suppose the real test is to remove oil filters on engines not run for a week. Not something normally done.

Last edited:
Here are pictures of the CAV adapters and the rotated oil filter on Sandpipers Lehman.

The CAV adapters were done in 2000 right after purchase.

The oil filter rotated in 2002.

Attachments

• 20191215_124230.jpg
    20191215_124230.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 76
  • 20191215_124344.jpg
    20191215_124344.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 20191215_124358.jpg
    20191215_124358.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Just bought 4 new CAV adapters and a handful of WIX 33361 filters. They seem small. Is that right?

Just bought 4 new CAV adapters and a handful of WIX 33361 filters. They seem small. Is that right?

Yes, those are correct. They don't have to be so large because water and the vast amount of dirt are stopped by the primary filters.

Ken

Yes, those are correct. They don't have to be so large because water and the vast amount of dirt are stopped by the primary filters.

Ken

Roger that, thank you. I have RACOR Turbine 1000s for my primaries.

Here are pictures of the CAV adapters and the rotated oil filter on Sandpipers Lehman.

I am curious. One of the hoses from the top of your oil filter runs a long way and out of the picture. To where is it plumbed?

I am curious. One of the hoses from the top of your oil filter runs a long way and out of the picture. To where is it plumbed?
Pic 1 of 3 shows it going to the side of the block. Oil pump outlet?

One hose from the filter housing goes to the oil cooler and the other to the oil outlet at the side of the block.

If you're referring to the hose running alongside the stringer, those are fuel lines from the fuel selector/Racor panel.

Looks good. Is see you are using PushLok fittings, is the hose PushLok labeled as well, and rated for petroleum products? That's critical, you should never use PushLok fittings with anything but PushLok hose. As an aside, PushLok fittings cannot be used with hose clamps. The last thing you want is this hose coming off.

Looks good. Is see you are using PushLok fittings, is the hose PushLok labeled as well, and rated for petroleum products? That's critical, you should never use PushLok fittings with anything but PushLok hose. As an aside, PushLok fittings cannot be used with hose clamps. The last thing you want is this hose coming off.

Yes, it is rated for petroleum.

Ford Lehman 120 Hp injector pump oil change

Hi all have a ford 120 and for the life of me cant a drain plug on the injector pump and i seem to have a different looking injector pump to most that have posted photos, mine has a what i suppose is a oil line from the oil filter to the injector pump does this line make changing oil in my injector pump not necessary redundant? :dance:
Thanks in advance all
Mobcat

Attachments

• IMG_8346.jpg
    IMG_8346.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 38
Hi all have a ford 120 and for the life of me cant a drain plug on the injector pump and i seem to have a different looking injector pump to most that have posted photos, mine has a what i suppose is a oil line from the oil filter to the injector pump does this line make changing oil in my injector pump not necessary redundant? :dance:
Thanks in advance all
Mobcat

Looks like you do not have to change the oil. What do our experts think? The hard line from the oil filter housing must be the supply line with the rubber hose being the return. Where does that rubber hose terminate? What is interesting to me are (1) it appears that the pump is filled to the top with oil whereas the "standard" pumps just over half, and (2) there appears to be a pressure sensor or alarm sensor at the top right of the pump. Very interesting to this FL120 owner all around.

I don’t know what that second line does coming off the injector pump does I hooked it up to the return line on the fuel return to tank but I don’t think anything comes out of it but maybe it does next trip I do I will hook it up to a catchment tank to see ?

The second line is probably for self purging

From what I can research on line it is a fuel return line kchace will be interesting to do a test on it next trip, I am yet to find a manual on line for the injector pump yet that would answer a lot of questions if I can.
Cheers
MC

Yes I agree. I should have said it is a fuel return line from the injector pump. It also allows the pump to be self purging.

Self purging hey that’s interesting because it’s a betch to start if she runs low on fuel the only way to bleed is to crack the injectors otherwise you would wear the starter motor out, I know it’s best Practicev to not run low on diesel but if you never have your probably lying air lock etc is a betch with Lehman’s to purge I have by passed the cam driven fuel lift pump because of this and installed a 12 volt high quality diesel fuel lift pump and have spare pump on board the cam driven one was flunky at best imo .
Cheers
MC

There’s nothing that will self purge the hard line between the pump and the injector.

It was simplicity itself to crack the bleed nut on my FL120s Simms pumps, start the electric priming pump and be restarted in less than a minute.

Having bled too many Minimec, Kiki and CAV pumps, if you run it out of fuel... I have never encountered a system that was "self-purging", I've always needed to bleed the pump and the injectors to varying degrees.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom