CAT part search for 3306

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LeoKa

Guru
Vessel Name
Ironsides
Vessel Make
54' Bruce Roberts steel sailboat hull, coastal LRC, 220HP CAT 3306.
I took apart my engine’s exhaust section to see where the smoke comes out when my engine starts. The smoke was not significant, and it slowed down once the engine warmed up, but obviously it was not safe. The engine is a turbo version, but not after cooled. The adapter which connects the exhaust to the dry stack has a broken section where the studs from the inside adapter connect. This resulted the sealant and the holding clamp to fall apart and there was an opening where the smoke would come out. I went to different shops to find this adapter, but I had no luck. I still have the broken section, but I was told by welders that cast iron is difficult to weld.
Does anyone know a surplus or old parts source for these engines? I have found one shop in FL, which lists this part, but when I called them it was not available.
The part number is 6L2731. It looks like a coupler with six holes in it.
Any advice is appreciated. IMG_0193.jpgIMG_0192.jpgIMG_0191.jpgIMG_0181.jpgIMG_0179.jpg

Last edited:
Hi LeoKa,

Welcome to the joys (?) of maintenance and repair of antique diesel engines.

Here's another URL for that part from a company in New York. You're on your own chase it down from there.

https://spare.avspart.com/caterpillar/adapter/6l2731/

Given the vintage of your engine, likely your best bet is to take your broken part to a local machine shop, and have them duplicate it (less the broken sector-doh!) in mild steel. Not much of an issue for a competent machinist.

Weld repair may be feasible, as I kinda doubt it's a cast part. But even if it is, it's likely repairable by (again), a competent welding shop. In any case, post-welding will likely need further machining to bring it back to proper dimensions and clean up the surfaces.

But bring a full walet to the shops. Custom machine work is spendy. And in this case, repair is vital, as you don't want broken exhaust components in your engine room.

Regards,

Pete

The local dealer found one in AU but the shipping is outrageous. I might need to buy it, but I hope I can find one closer and less expensive.

This company buys and sells used engines and parts. Mostly bigger diesels. Like Detroit, Cat, Cummings. https://www.surplusman.com/

Cast iron can be welded. It needs to be preheated and slowly cooled after welding. New castings are commonly welded to fix small flaws. There are specialty welding rods and wire for cast iron. A welding shop that does work for mills or commercial fishing probably does cast iron routinely. Or go by a welding supply and ask who buys cast iron welding rod.

Companies that do cast iron usually have a oven that is goes higher than a house oven. And after welding put the part back in the oven and gradually turn down the heat. In the old days, we had a big tub of loose asbestos fibers we'd toss the part into and cover it up to cool. Or wrap it in an asbestos blanket. Probably why I have lung issues.

This company buys and sells used engines and parts. Mostly bigger diesels. Like Detroit, Cat, Cummings. https://www.surplusman.com/

s.

I’ve sent my request in.

Perhaps my only option is to pay the high shipping and get the part from overseas, since machining it these days will not be cheaper.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom