Cat D343t feedback

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good evening Trawler Friends! I am fairly new to the group. I am looking at another vessel (don’t tell my current trawler) that has twin Cat D343T engines with about 8000 hours. Does anyone have experience with these engines specifically regarding spare parts availability and fuel consumption? I’m told the engines have been run around 1350 rpm to deliver 10 knots, which is about 75% of rated power. I of course will get a full mechanical survey, but just wondering what experiences folks have with these engines. Thanks!

Some years ago I ran a 95' steel workboat with a pair of these 343Ts, keel cooled. We ran them at about the RPM you mention, and saw about 9.6 knots OTB.

Once you get them started, they won't quit. In a spacious engine room, they are pretty accessible for maintenance. One trouble point is the pre-combustion chamber, a casting (I think) that threads into the head, handling immense pressure. The part seems to be still available. Not what you'd call the cleanest or most efficient diesel out there anymore, but if well-maintained, a solid propulsion engine.

1000s of these engines were used world wide in commercial boats and industry.

Rebuild parts are available and will be for a long time.
https://www.surplusman.com/ buys and sells engines & parts. ebay is another place for used parts and rebuild kits.
Manuals and parts books can usually be found on ebay, too.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom