Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-23-2022, 06:00 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
TowLou's Avatar
 
City: North NJ
Vessel Name: Bassey
Vessel Model: 17' Bass
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
Solenoids sometimes behave when whacked with a hammer.
Ill agree.

Had a natural gas genny today with the shutoff fuel selnoids sticking closed at startup....... Every time a smack at the valves while cranking she would fire up. Do nothing trip a overcrank.
TowLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 06:45 PM   #22
Guru
 
Martin J's Avatar
 
City: Mt Crested Butte
Vessel Name: Artemis
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 67
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 526
I'd check the solenoid on the pump. Remember it actuates to open the fuel when the key is on. It;s not a stop solenoid. it's a opening solenoid for the fuel when the key is on. it's an easy check. Doodie 99 Has described as well.
Martin J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 12:30 PM   #23
TF Site Team
 
slowgoesit's Avatar
 
City: Puget Sound
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: 50' Beebe Passagemaker
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 1,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowLou View Post
Verify your fuel selnoid is getting the right power or dropping out. Then id check for fuel at the injectors by cracking a fuel line while cranking. When were the fuel filters changed last? Did they start to let air in? Got a manual fuel prime pump?

He answered this in post # 5
__________________
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: 50' Beebe Passagemaker
slowgoesit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 12:50 PM   #24
Guru
 
CharlieO.'s Avatar
 
City: Vermont
Vessel Name: Luna C.
Vessel Model: 1977 Marine Trader 34DC
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 652
Is there any kind of linkage attached the fuel stop solenoid? If there is a linkage and its out of adjustment even the the known good part won't work.
CharlieO. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 01:03 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
chriscritchett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgarriso View Post
Loosen the fuel injector nuts holding the fuel lines. Then crank the motor a few rounds. There should be fuel coming out of each of the lines at the injectors.
This, if you havenít yet. My fairly new-to-me Cummins 6BT died one day idling at the dock, refused to restart though it cranked fine. Fuel system had not been touched in months (i.e. no reason to suspect air).

Chased electrical connections for hours, verified the solenoid was clicking, new start battery just in case (was replacing them all with AGM anyway). And then I cracked the nuts out of desperation.

After a few revs the fuel started to spit out (jam paper towels around the loose connections to save yourself a big mess). Do it again. If itís like mine it will start to fire once the air is out. Stop and tighten the nuts. Vroom.

Made no sense to my diagnostic self, but somehow some air got in there. Easy fix and great practice for next time. Good luck!
chriscritchett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 08:57 PM   #26
Guru
 
High Wire's Avatar
 
City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,452
If the lift pump died it will also crank and not fire. So mechanical or electrical lift pump?
__________________
Archie
Irish Lady
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 03:16 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Osprey69's Avatar
 
City: Florida/Bahamas
Vessel Name: Rogue
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 49 MY
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 210
Mechanic # 1 correctly diagnoses a bad diode in fuel shut-off solenoid power wire.

Owner orders and proceeds to install incorrectly. Apparently they are unidirectional.

So mechanic #2 comes aboard and was working with a baseline that was wrong. Only when he flips the solenoid AND wiring over from the port engine does she fire right up.

He assumed I replaced the power wire correctly. I guess he also assumed that I am not an idiot.

Thank you to all for responding to a simple problem that I made more complicated than need be.
Osprey69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 03:44 PM   #28
Guru
 
Soo-Valley's Avatar
 
City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 2,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey69 View Post
Mechanic # 1 correctly diagnoses a bad diode in fuel shut-off solenoid power wire.

Owner orders and proceeds to install incorrectly. Apparently they are unidirectional.

So mechanic #2 comes aboard and was working with a baseline that was wrong. Only when he flips the solenoid AND wiring over from the port engine does she fire right up.

He assumed I replaced the power wire correctly. I guess he also assumed that I am not an idiot.

Thank you to all for responding to a simple problem that I made more complicated than need be.
Thanks for closing post. Too bad this information was not included in post #1
__________________
SteveK AKA Soo Valley
You only need one working engine. That is why I have two.
Soo-Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 03:47 PM   #29
Guru
 
City: West coast
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 802
Iím a bit confused. You said it ran fine at dock and then a week later no start. But you changed the solenoid in that time period? Wasnít that the last action before it didnít start?

I think the thread is informative and interesting can you give us your lessons learned?
bowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 03:49 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Osprey69's Avatar
 
City: Florida/Bahamas
Vessel Name: Rogue
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 49 MY
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 210
This information and conclusion was not known until this morning. First post was on 2/23.
Osprey69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 03:53 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
Osprey69's Avatar
 
City: Florida/Bahamas
Vessel Name: Rogue
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 49 MY
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowball View Post
Iím a bit confused. You said it ran fine at dock and then a week later no start. But you changed the solenoid in that time period? Wasnít that the last action before it didnít start?

I think the thread is informative and interesting can you give us your lessons learned?
Solenoids changed last fall. The diode in the power line to the solenoid failed whilst the boat sat on the dock and when I went to re-start the engine it did not.

A seemingly simple repair (installing new power line/diode) might still deserve a glance at the directions. Caused all kinds of bunny holes to be explored. Learned a lot in the process. though. So there is that.
Osprey69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 05:53 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
RickyD's Avatar
 
City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Aquarius
Vessel Model: Californian 55 CPMY
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey69 View Post
Portage. We swapped out running port fuel shut-off solenoid and no joy. They were both replaced (at my instruction as one was suspect at engine survey) last fall. We have been dancing all over those connections as well.

Well check fuel flow just to make sure.

Thanks.
If you have a Fireboy fire suppression system it may have failed or half of it. I had that happen. Chased all kinds of things first. If you have one you can disable it from its control and monitoring panel. Mine is on the fly bridge. Worth a try. My old one had a circuit board controlling the port engine and another for the starboard engine. Port engine would not start until we disabled the Fireboy. Then we upgraded to a new style with one circuit board. All is now happy.
__________________
Aquarius 1991 Californian 55 CPMY Long Beach CA
RickyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 07:00 PM   #33
Guru
 
twistedtree's Avatar
 
City: Walkabout Creek
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 7,723
OK so the diode failed and was diagnosed by a mechanic. You replaced the diode, but installed it backwards, and that has been the problem ever since?
__________________
MVTanglewood.com
twistedtree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 12:28 PM   #34
TF Site Team
 
slowgoesit's Avatar
 
City: Puget Sound
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: 50' Beebe Passagemaker
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 1,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
OK so the diode failed and was diagnosed by a mechanic. You replaced the diode, but installed it backwards, and that has been the problem ever since?

I believe he was saying that it was unidirectional, to some extent, so since it was installed backwards, it worked FOR AWHILE, then failed recently. Since it was working for awhile, he did not connect that replacement last Fall, with the recent problem.
__________________
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: 50' Beebe Passagemaker
slowgoesit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 07:52 AM   #35
Guru
 
twistedtree's Avatar
 
City: Walkabout Creek
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 7,723
CAT 3208 turns over will not start...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowgoesit View Post
I believe he was saying that it was unidirectional, to some extent, so since it was installed backwards, it worked FOR AWHILE, then failed recently. Since it was working for awhile, he did not connect that replacement last Fall, with the recent problem.


Ok, I read it differently, but frankly the whole story has been hard to follow. Of course a diode is inherently unidirectional. Thatís it whole purpose in life. If installed backwards, it would explain all the symptoms. My recap was an attempt to clarify what happened, since it has been so scattered and unclear.
__________________
MVTanglewood.com
twistedtree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 10:04 AM   #36
Senior Member
 
Osprey69's Avatar
 
City: Florida/Bahamas
Vessel Name: Rogue
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 49 MY
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Ok, I read it differently, but frankly the whole story has been hard to follow. Of course a diode is inherently unidirectional. Thatís it whole purpose in life. If installed backwards, it would explain all the symptoms. My recap was an attempt to clarify what happened, since it has been so scattered and unclear.
[*]Engine ran at dock[*]Engine did not start at dock a week later. [*]Failed diode diagnosed on fuel shut-off solenoid power line.[*]Ordered replacement part via CAT[*]Replacement installed, (albeit incorrectly...see below).[*]Engine did not start.[*]Bunny hole searching ensued assuming a correct power line with a diode.[*]Finally swapped out shut-off solenoid power lines as a last resort (yup should have done that earlier).[*]Engine started and runs fine.

The following is new info.

Installed new power line correctly yesterday. No joy. Tested replacement power-line. There is no diode in it (as led to believe) and no matter how installed was not going to work. So I ordered diodes (replacing port and starboard and will have the original as a spare) that can be dropped in easily.
Osprey69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 11:24 AM   #37
Guru
 
Soo-Valley's Avatar
 
City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 2,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey69 View Post
[*]Engine ran at dock[*]Engine did not start at dock a week later. [*]Failed diode diagnosed on fuel shut-off solenoid power line.[*]Ordered replacement part via CAT[*]Replacement installed, (albeit incorrectly...see below).[*]Engine did not start.[*]Bunny hole searching ensued assuming a correct power line with a diode.[*]Finally swapped out shut-off solenoid power lines as a last resort (yup should have done that earlier).[*]Engine started and runs fine.

The following is new info.

Installed new power line correctly yesterday. No joy. Tested replacement power-line. There is no diode in it (as led to believe) and no matter how installed was not going to work. So I ordered diodes (replacing port and starboard and will have the original as a spare) that can be dropped in easily.
Engine started and runs fine after a swap of shut-off solenoid.
Now a new power line installed and it does not work again.
Yes it is hard to follow along.
__________________
SteveK AKA Soo Valley
You only need one working engine. That is why I have two.
Soo-Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 02:25 PM   #38
Senior Member
 
Deano's Avatar
 
City: St. Pete
Vessel Name: Becca
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 247
Diodes by their nature are directional.
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 02:39 PM   #39
Senior Member
 
City: south kingstown
Vessel Name: Albatross
Vessel Model: 1973 Grand Banks 36
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
If a mechanic is having an issue sourcing the problem, itís not likely we can help.

Just in case some one missed one of the basics letís review a few things. Is there fuel in the tank? Are all the valves in the open position? Have you primed the engine to confirm there is fuel to the High Pressure Pump? Have we confirmed that the fuel shut off solenoid is functioning?

I'm glad you asked the question about fuel in the tank. I was thinking of Carl (Billie Bob Thornton) in Slingblade. "Hmmm, ain't got no gas"
ronobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 03:35 PM   #40
Veteran Member
 
contingensea's Avatar
 
City: Little River, SC
Vessel Name: Time Makes Two
Vessel Model: Grand Banks Europa 42
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 36
Ahh, 3208’s mysteries abound!

Probably are aware already but, be careful the lift muffler does not fill up with water during all the cranking. Hate to see you have a REAL problem!

Haven’t had the problem yet that you are experiencing with my relatively new to me 3208’s but, I’m sure I will.

Please post the resolution when known.

You could call Diesel Don, Florence AL. Not sure if he consults over the phone though.
http://www.jaysboats.com/ddon.asp
contingensea is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012