Cat 3208 TA Transmission Oil Pressure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Solstice1981

Vessel Name
Synergy
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 60
When I start my engine the audible alarm starts, the gauges come on and my Transmission oil gauge pins out high, but now it stays pinned out high and does not go to a normal range and my audible alarm remains on.

Question 1: Is this a symptom of a bad transmission oil pressure sender? Or is the alarm an engine oil alarm which seems fine on my gauge panel.

Question 2: I assume the transmission Oil Pressure sender is on the exit of my transmission cooler see photo.

Thank You

Wade Cordy M/V Synergy

Attachments

• 20230330_155752.jpg
    20230330_155752.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 22
My first thought is faulty sender but with out putting a multimeter to it I am only guessing.

When was the last time you changed the oil in the tranny?

From my reading everyone says my audible alarm is Oil temp and pressure NOT Transmission, but my transmission pressure gauge pegs out high.

Pegging out high is normally a ground or bad sender. Clean contacts , check wire ends, and on the back of the gauge. Pressure senders work on the general pressure of the system. Check fluid level. Air in the system due to low fluid can cause air and erratic readings. The location of the sender will work anywhere. Its placement does not mean input or output of the line.

You can replace the sender with a "T" and add a gauge.

pete

Question 1: Is this a symptom of a bad transmission oil pressure sender? Or is the alarm an engine oil alarm which seems fine on my Wade Cordy M/V Synergy

Is the pressure sensor before cooler? If yes, how old is the cooler? When was last time the heat exchanger was pulled cleaned and tested?

If it's not too much of a diversion, how awkward is it to pull and service the tran oil coolers on the 3208ta? It's my next project, and I'd be grateful for any helpful suggestions.

The first question to answer is are the coolers the OEM flat plate coolers or after market shell and tube? If they are the OEM flat plate I have been told by experienced mechanics it is best to replace them. Trying to get them to seal properly after servicing is a problem and likely to fail. They all recommend replacement with after market shell and tube. Once the conversion to shell and tube is done future servicing is much easier.

The second question is are the coolers sea water or coolant cooled? Commonly the oil coolers are sea water cooled. I got lucky and mine are coolant cooled.

I've not done the job but a bit of digging around on boatdiesel.com finds this
Unfortunate answer is all 10 bolts. I just went through the same thing, had to pull my exhaust off and use every wrench I own, short, long ratcheting etc. I have the same engines and the turbo lines were what was blocking most of the bolts.

Its a real pain in the ass. The alternative is to remove the turbo and crossover pipe as that´s what is holding down the mounting bracket.
I suggest searching boatdiesel forums before you dive in. You'll find DIYers who've serviced the OEM style and those who replaced with shell and tube.

If it's not too much of a diversion, how awkward is it to pull and service the tran oil coolers on the 3208ta? It's my next project, and I'd be grateful for any helpful suggestions.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom