Cat 3208 raw water pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doodie99

Vessel Name
Winters Obsession
Vessel Make
Mainship Mark 1
So I removed my raw water pump to clean and replace the impeller and discovered the housing of the bearings is broken. Its Aluminum and corrosion took its toll. It's the cat 4N6582 (Jabsco 17350-0011) . Unfortunately its discontinued as is most parts. Anyone have suggestions on replacing?

"Anyone have suggestions on replacing?"

A pair (one as in place spare) of electric pumps can solve many problems.

If located below the WL a centrifugal style can be used , no looking for pieces of rubber impeller.

"Anyone have suggestions on replacing?"

A pair (one as in place spare) of electric pumps can solve many problems.

If located below the WL a centrifugal style can be used , no looking for pieces of rubber impeller.

While I love the idea and have investigated it myself with an Onga Balboa pump, how does that work with increased RPM so requirement for more water flow?

For new replacement I Googled 1" foot mounted imeller pump and came up with some good options. It may take a bit of fiddling with the mount and belt length but it looks promising. I'm reasonably sure that's what a 3208 NA raw water pump is. My less than 100% reliable memory tells me that's the description on the box. I can check when I'm at the boat next week.

If you are OK with used OEM look for used boat equipment stores. Those pumps are often found in that kind of store. If you don't have any near you maybe try Longship Marine https://www.longshipmarine.com/ or Second Wave https://secondwaveattheboatyard.com/ both good stores in Wash state. I'd call rather than look at their inventory listed online.

A mechanic familiar with the older Cats may be of help. A shop that rebuilds pumps may be of help.

There's always Ebay and Craigslist if you have the patience to dig around on there.

When you've got it all figured out buy a spare and keep it onboard.

Radtke Marine in Seattle may be able to source a used pump. Tens of thousands of these engines have seen marine use. Several US based Cat rebuild shops should be able to help. Boat diesel website too. I see major rebuild kits are still available for 17350-0011.

Grab the serial number off your engine. Call N.C. Machinery 800.562.4735 ask for auxiliary power parts department. Give them your engine serial number and ask them for price and availability of the current raw water pump for your engine.

Well i think i may have the solution. I purchased two used pumps from FB marketplace.
one is the Sherwood P176-02 and the second is the Jabsco 777 The Jabsco has both a pulley and mounting bracket so its an easy fit. The Sherwood has fittings and a pulley.
Both i seem to see cross references to the Cat 3208. My gut feeling is the Sherwood is the best way to go since it looks like a very nice pump. I do plan on completely going through them (bearings, seals and impeller)

They used a few different pumps on 3208, never seen one using aluminum. All the ones I fiddled with used the P176(??) or some sort of Jabsco. Both the entire body of the pumps were cast bronze. Should be able to fit up either on your engine.

My 3208N's run Jabsco 777-9001 bronze pedestal pumps.

I never heard of a pump having aluminium parts either but I can see why they discontinue it. It was an early gen pump on the 3208.

Depco may also be able to help. They specialize in pumps.

The Depco catalog I have (that could be a few years old) lists your pump.

Attachments

• 3208.JPG
    3208.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 17
Depo does have impeller and bearings etc but the bearing housing was discontinued years ago and I had no luck finding it. I did find a Sherwood 176-02 and bracket that will bolt on this so I should be set to go soon.

Purchased a Sherwood Pump P176X from: Trans Pacific Distributors a year ago for my 3208N, cheapest I could find on the net and delivered on time.
Just wondering what size belt you use. Mine is almost installed but I don't know if my old belt will work yet.

Back
Top Bottom