Cat 3208 brochure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Pacific Myst
Vessel Make
West Bay 4500
A brochure on the Cat 3208 truck and bus engine. FF had this and asked that it be scanned and posted to the forum.

If you have trouble viewing the PDF here on the forum PM me your email and I'll send you a copy of the PDF.

Attachments

• Cat 3208 brochure.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 89
hi there. looking to get some specs on my 3208t (1991) volvo white gmc truck engine. i have been running this truck for a year now and realize at 220hp its not going to be a powerhouse, yet i find it very reliable. I have been suspicious since owning it if i am getting full boost or fuel pressure after reading how these engines love to eat injection pump cams? my engine starts immediately and seems to run very smooth at least to my ear at all rpms. I have installed a boost or intake air pressure guage on this truck myself although i have never witnessed it read more than 7 psi ever..... is this normal for the truck application i do believe i reach my 2600 rpm and have checked out my afc diaphram and played with the fuel screw.
I am curious still tho if i am getting full power out of this engine because it is an absolute slug on any hill or sight of a hill! yet i cant complain as the truck empty weighs right near 20,000 lbs ( heavy steel deck and hiab crane). I would really love someones opinion that is familiar with these engines to tell me if theres any way to check my injection pump is delivering full fuel pressure etc. or that my turbo pressure is inadequate at 7psi max... i really cant complain tho as i can run this truck 10-12 hours and only put in 130 liters of fuel. I also have driven a similiar single axle truck with a 5.9 cummins (24 valve) at an empty weight of 28000 lbs and felt that this truck would out run my cat easily at that heavier tare weight even though i thought they were similar hp and torque specs?! anyones thoughts here?

Only modern electronic fuel injected are low RPM torque monsters ,
older engines like the 3208 need RPM to climb big hills.

Down shift early , 2,600RPM is fine for a half hour to get to rocky top.

OF course the more HP the engine creates the poorer the MPG will be.

Boatdiesel.com provides a wealth of information and access to technical wisdom for just a few dollars. They have a significant number of publications available for download. It’s great bang for the buck, been a subscriber for several years.

Good Luck

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom