capital gear

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fijigone

Veteran Member
I am looking at an add for a boat with Capital 2.5 reduction. Does anyone know about these gears? Thanks !!

Been out of production for a very long time. Company long gone. Some service parts available through various vendors. Big hard parts, likely will be a challenge or impossible to find.

On a twin engine boat, Capitol like Allisons had counter rotating engines and props. The gears themselves were restricted to a preferred fwd and engines provided the counter rotation. Makes life complicated if you have to re-gear.

I was more interested in how good was it in operation as compared to others. How solid and dependable. I realize parts may be a problem but will it much need parts?

Not sure where you are located, but pretty much every troller and fish boat on the West Coast in the last century had a Capitol Gear or Twin Disc installed. I have no direct experience. I'd call the guys in Sooke on Monday, and see if there are some models to avoid, ask about any weaknesses and check on parts availability.

Last edited:
Extremely high quality & designed & built to the highest specs available in those days, just like Allison and many older Twin Disc gears.. But like everything, including us, eventually all life comes to an end.....Keep them clean , dry & rust free on the outside, keep the oil clean in the inside and maybe you'll see 50+ years.. ...........

Tony

Thanks for all your input. It is on a 50 year engine - Gardner. Will take a closer look.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom