Old 05-23-2018, 01:57 PM   #1

City: Ft. Myers, FL
Vessel Name: Hannah Jane
Vessel Model: 2000 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Brightside paint color Matterhorn White same as Cat color?

My Grand Banks 42 has CAT 3116 diesels that are painted white. My local CAT dealer did some touch up painting during some engine work and left the CAT spray cans w/me. The cans say Matterhorn White and so do all the CAT sites when you look for touch up paint.

Does anyone know if the Interlux Brightside color Matterhorn White is the same color as CAT Matterhorn White? I assumed it was and ordered a quart from Defender, but the color label on the can looks like it has a fair bit of grey in it. The can is really sealed well, plus I'm nowhere near my boat. I don't want to open the can and check because I'd have to remove the seals and not sure I can return it. Thanks!
FBoykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 02:52 PM   #2
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBoykin View Post
My Grand Banks 42 has CAT 3116 diesels that are painted white. My local CAT dealer did some touch up painting during some engine work and left the CAT spray cans w/me. The cans say Matterhorn White and so do all the CAT sites when you look for touch up paint.

Does anyone know if the Interlux Brightside color Matterhorn White is the same color as CAT Matterhorn White? I assumed it was and ordered a quart from Defender, but the color label on the can looks like it has a fair bit of grey in it. The can is really sealed well, plus I'm nowhere near my boat. I don't want to open the can and check because I'd have to remove the seals and not sure I can return it. Thanks!
I doubt you will be able to tell without opening and applying it. My boat has a fair amount of Matterhorn White, and while the paint does look a bit grayish in the can, once applied it looks white. In fact, you can hardy tell the difference between Matterhorn White and Snow White in the sun even though they look quite different in the can.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:56 PM   #3
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
No 2 paints made by different manufacturers are the same. Even different grades of paint by the same manufacturer. Perfection, Brightside, and Yacht Enamel - all made by Interlux, have different brightness of white. If you want an exact match, buy the exact paint. And then be prepared for a slight difference in batches.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 03:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

City: Tromso
A paint shop can give you the exact formula for each. If you're in doubt and want to use what you have, just save the Cat-paint for the last coat of color (+clear coat - if you'd like)
Cold-smoked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 04:11 PM   #5

City: Ft. Myers, FL
Vessel Name: Hannah Jane
Vessel Model: 2000 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Thanks for the replies. I got the Brightsides so I could paint the engine parts with a brush. Using the CAT spray cans in the ER create a lot of overspray. The color match doesn't have to be exact, close is okay. Cleaning and painting some of the rusted places is more important.

But I figured some CAT owner might have used the Brightsides and could confirm if the color was a CAT match or not.
FBoykin is offline   Reply With Quote