Old 04-23-2020, 02:16 PM   #21
Guru

City: Mississippi
Vessel Name: ADAGIO
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
Our boat is set like others - keys on the lower, so have to crank downstairs, but that is ok so i can hear how the engines sound. Can shut down from FB but the loud buzzers will keep buzzing unless I Go down and turn the keys off. But would love to be able to shut down from FB and re-crank. In the South we can keep engines running in locks, but I have heard that on the Erie and in Canada you have to shut engines off in the locks - will be a real PIA. We will be doing the LOOP soon.
FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 02:42 PM   #22
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Name:  3 way switch.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  6.5 KB
adapt into current setup. Substitute word light's for power to starter button. You will need to run 3 wires from lower to upper. two will be travelers and third will return power to lower start from middle connection which also feeds upper start. The power input at lower can still be from an on/off switch
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 06:50 PM   #23
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotCharlie View Post
Our boat is set like others - keys on the lower, so have to crank downstairs, but that is ok so i can hear how the engines sound. Can shut down from FB but the loud buzzers will keep buzzing unless I Go down and turn the keys off. But would love to be able to shut down from FB and re-crank. In the South we can keep engines running in locks, but I have heard that on the Erie and in Canada you have to shut engines off in the locks - will be a real PIA. We will be doing the LOOP soon.
Why do you believe it will be a PITA?
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 07:26 PM   #24
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
1986 marine trader here. Same deal. Turn key in salon.
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 08:02 PM   #25

City: N/A
Vessel Name: Late Harvest
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3888
Only a PITA if you run from the fly bridge. Locks here (Trent-Severn/Rideau Canal) require engines off once in the lock. Stop engines from bridge and alarm buzzers sound until key is switched off, so, shut down engines from bridge, do you go down to catch lock line or first go to lower helm and turn off key to silence buzzer then try to catch lock line.
Not an issue if locks don’t require engine shutdown such as Illinois or Ohio or Tenn-Tom.

James
MacPhid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 08:03 PM   #26
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Thank goodness I've only one bridge and don't need to concern myself with this issue.
Old 04-23-2020, 09:20 PM   #27
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacPhid View Post
Only a PITA if you run from the fly bridge. Locks here (Trent-Severn/Rideau Canal) require engines off once in the lock. Stop engines from bridge and alarm buzzers sound until key is switched off, so, shut down engines from bridge, do you go down to catch lock line or first go to lower helm and turn off key to silence buzzer then try to catch lock line.
Not an issue if locks don’t require engine shutdown such as Illinois or Ohio or Tenn-Tom.

James
No, you first secure your boat with all lines. Once completed go into the PH and shut down the engines.

No lock tender is going to stand there and shout at you once a line is grabbed - "hey shut those effing engines off!"

Jeez.

Just for info, I have to lock out every time I leave my dock and lock in to get back.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 05:41 AM   #28
Veteran Member

City: Savannah
Vessel Name: Sweet Lu
Vessel Model: Marine Trader sundeck
My 1985 Marine Trader has key at lower helm only. Shortly after I bought the boat, I found out that the upper helm start and stop switch didn't work. I learned this after my engine stalled coming into the dock and pushing the start button had no effect. I would recommend that everyone with upper helm switches verify their proper operation, this may save you from some tense moments docking one day, or worse. If you have switches that don't work, I suspect that they have failed, not just not connected.
TWedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 10:22 AM   #29

City: Clearwater, fl
I don’t have a key switch at the lower helm, I have a switch and then I have one start and one stop. On the flybridge the only thing I have is one start push button and one stop push button
eastlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 10:31 AM   #30
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic #715
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastlake View Post
I don’t have a key switch at the lower helm, I have a switch and then I have one start and one stop. On the flybridge the only thing I have is one start push button and one stop push button
Same as our GB 36. Except the bridge buttons don’t function.
Old 04-24-2020, 11:12 AM   #31
Veteran Member

City: Savannah
Vessel Name: Sweet Lu
Vessel Model: Marine Trader sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigatoo View Post
Same as our GB 36. Except the bridge buttons don’t function.
You might want to get them working
TWedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 11:53 AM   #32
Guru

City: Mississippi
Vessel Name: ADAGIO
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Why do you believe it will be a PITA?
We run from the FB 100% of the time, so would have to go downstairs to turn the keys(and buzzers) off. FB is now fully enclosed. Might not turn out to be a big deal - we've been through 24 locks on the Tenn-Tom and TN river, but have never shut down in a lock - yet.
FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 02:58 PM   #33
Veteran Member

City: Vero Beach
Vessel Name: LEGEND
Vessel Model: GB 36C
GBC 1062

Start up or down. No keys.
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 03:43 PM   #34
Tim
Veteran Member

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: NANCY J
Vessel Model: GB 42 Classic
Parallel Bridge Switch

The easiest way to do this is to run a wire from one side of the main switch in the house to one side of a new switch on the bridge. Run another wire from the other side of the house switch to the bridge switch. This creates a parallel circuit. Either switch on will activate the circuit. But you can only turn off the circuit at the one which activated it.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 07:34 PM   #35

City: GRAND ISLAND
Vessel Name: Tortue de Mer
Vessel Model: 36’ Grand Banks CL #615
It sounds like a common problem, I also have a master, start, and stop switch at the LH. The FB only has a start, and stop switch with no master. In the northeast we have a lot of canals, shutting the engine off while sitting in a lock in normal practice. The problem using the stop button from the bridge is it leaves all the engine alarms live. I have to have my wonderful deck hand step into the LH to operate the master during locking operations. Needless to say its a pain at times.
Hoppys GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 07:00 AM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotCharlie View Post
We run from the FB 100% of the time, so would have to go downstairs to turn the keys(and buzzers) off. FB is now fully enclosed. Might not turn out to be a big deal - we've been through 24 locks on the Tenn-Tom and TN river, but have never shut down in a lock - yet.
We run only from the bridge and also have an enclosure and running the Erie and Canadian locks were never a problem or a PIA. You will quickly develop a procedure and it will become natural in no time.
There are other things more important things to worry about.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 08:30 AM   #37

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: M/V Reinassance
Vessel Model: 48’ Hi-Star Sundeck
Same as RickyD
My Hi-Star has Keys and Independent start and stop buttons both on the helm and fly bridge and work great independently of each other. I live on board and her keys are kept secured in a safe so when I’m away for any length of time she won’t be going anywhere.
Capt_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 10:21 AM   #38
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic #715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppys GB View Post
It sounds like a common problem, I also have a master, start, and stop switch at the LH. The FB only has a start, and stop switch with no master. In the northeast we have a lot of canals, shutting the engine off while sitting in a lock in normal practice. The problem using the stop button from the bridge is it leaves all the engine alarms live. I have to have my wonderful deck hand step into the LH to operate the master during locking operations. Needless to say its a pain at times.
Anything special that you have to do to get the FB buttons to operate? Mine are there but neither start nor stop work.
Old 04-28-2020, 01:02 PM   #39
Tim
Veteran Member

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: NANCY J
Vessel Model: GB 42 Classic
start and stop

Nothing special should be required to make them work. Yours must be disconnected.

I might add to my earlier post suggesting setting up a f/b switch wired in parallel to the house switch. If you do this you should add a fuse in line to the upper switch because if activated from the f/b switch you will be doing so without the circuit breaker on the lower panel.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 02:51 PM   #40
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Just a comment for those who idle their boats once secured to the dock for "cool down". Unless you come into the marina rather hot (going fast or higher RPM), the slow rpm (usually below 1000 rpm) used to enter the marina and the time to secure the lines is all the cool down needed. Your dockmates will appreciate you shutting down soon after docking and the added idle time is not really needed