Bridge starting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eastlake

I have a 1986 grand Banks 36 classic, on the bridge I have a stop and start switch however I have to go to the salon to turn the master switch on and stop solenoid. The boat to my knowledge is factory. Has anybody run across this. I would like to be able to rig up a switch on the bridge to where I can turn the master and the stop solenoid without having to go down to the salon. I’m not sure why the boat has a start and stop switch on the bridge without a master switchand stop Solenoid switch. If Anybody has any information I would love to hear from you.

I have a 1986 grand Banks 36 classic, on the bridge I have a stop and start switch however I have to go to the salon to turn the master switch on and stop solenoid. The boat to my knowledge is factory. Has anybody run across this. I would like to be able to rig up a switch on the bridge to where I can turn the master and the stop solenoid without having to go down to the salon. I’m not sure why the boat has a start and stop switch on the bridge without a master switchand stop Solenoid switch. If Anybody has any information I would love to hear from you.

Welcome aboard. On a previous boat we had the keys in the lower helm. We had to turn the keys on and then either the flybridge helm or the lower helm start and stop buttons would work. That way you could lock the cabin and someone could not just walk up to the flybridge and start the engines without the keys being on at the lower helm. Our current boat only has the flybridge so the keys are there along with start and stop buttons.

If your GB is like ours, you don’t have keys, just power, stop and start buttons. Like Comodave said above, your set up keeps thieves from starting the boat from the flying bridge and driving off on a joy ride.

Same here. Key start in the PH, remote stop on the FB.

We always start and stop the engines from the PH.

Guess one of these days I ought to stop them from the FB just to make sure it works! :)

Attachments

• P1000135.jpg
    P1000135.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 49
Same here. Key start in the PH, remote stop on the FB.

We always start and stop the engines from the PH.

Guess one of these days I ought to stop them from the FB just to make sure it works! :)

Same set up here. I’ve never tried the FB start/stop either! :eek:

I was thinking about putting a keyed switch tied into the switch below just wondering if anyone has done that before

I think I can start my Albin from above although I have never tried it. Same for the kill button, never used it.

Here is why. For starting, I like to hear the starter motor and the engine for a few seconds. Sometimes I will even stick my head into the engine compartment but if everything sounds good I generally don't bother. Besides, generally I was just down there checking the oil. It also gives me the opportunity to walk to the back on my way upstairs to check for water discharge.

For shut down, I generally let the boat idle down while I do the dock lines and fenders. A quick "listen" to the engine and then I kill it.

pete

I think I can start my Albin from above although I have never tried it. Same for the kill button, never used it.

Here is why. For starting, I like to hear the starter motor and the engine for a few seconds. Sometimes I will even stick my head into the engine compartment but if everything sounds good I generally don't bother. Besides, generally I was just down there checking the oil. It also gives me the opportunity to walk to the back on my way upstairs to check for water discharge.

For shut down, I generally let the boat idle down while I do the dock lines and fenders. A quick "listen" to the engine and then I kill it.

pete

When I start from below I do the same, and this is the only warm up the engine gets. While I walk up to the flybridge.

My start and stop buttons do work from the bridge (I test them annually), but I have to turn the key "on" from below.

You can do it with relays. You either bypass the master and stop switches with a relay or replace them with a relay. That's how I do it. No keys. Most boats are easy to break in and anyone with engine experience can start a diesel w/o a key.

FYI - Even my MainShip 30 Pilot II (no Flying Bridge) is set up with a master switch on the main panel in the salon, start & stop switches at the helm station. Locking the cabin, effectively secures the boat. The schematic for a hard top version with FB & an upper helm shows only the start/stop switches at the upper helm - no master.

Like Pete, I like to listen carefully at engine start and monitor cooling water flow immediately on startup. Per general Yanmar operating guides, I let her idle for at least 5 minutes while I secure lines and fenders at the dock - supposedly to allow oil and bearing to cool.

Last edited:
Like Comodave said above, your set up keeps thieves from starting the boat from the flying bridge and driving off on a joy ride.

I had to laugh at the thought of anyone stealing my boat for a joy ride.

But I'm set up the same way; power-on keys at the lower helm only.

I think one start and one stop button work at the flybridge. The other two don't. It's on my to-do list to fix them, but not high on the list.

The only reasons I'd need to stop the engines from there would be an emergency of some kind, or if I wanted to listen for something. But I wouldn't be able to hear anything over the low-oil alarm if I shut it down without killing the power at the key anyway.

Anyway, I'd be interested in what others have done. I don't really want to run any more cables up to the flybridge. The conduit is already packed full.

Mine is set up with keys down and just push buttons up top. Cummins sells that as package for the engines. The upper set are considered remotes or slave to the lower control panel. I have actually never tried the start or stop switch on the upper helm. Might have to do that one day. I shut down from the lower so I can turn the key off and silence all the alarms that start blaring as soon as the engine stops.

Does anybody have a rough wiring schematic on how I could wire the switch to the fb

We have an 84 GB 36. Hull 715. Same deal. Start and stop buttons on the bridge but they do not work. Seem to be original. My guess is that they were never wired in from the start. Haven’t gotten around to figuring it out yet as Boat is fairly new to us. Interested to hear what others have found.

Does anybody have a rough wiring schematic on how I could wire the switch to the fb

Let's make sure we're all talking the same language...

Do you have one (stop) or two (start and stop) push buttons for the engine(s)?

Do you have a key switch or just an on/off power switch for the engine(s)?

Well I like to be different. My Californian has keys and start/stop switches at each helm station. I can start and stop from any location except that if I start from the fly bridge, my normal situation, then I stop from the lower helm station, the warning buzzers will buzz from the fly bridge. The reverse is also true so where ever I start, I stop. Then at the end of a trip I pull the keys from the fly bridge and stow below. Our steel framed heavy paned door to the salon would be very hard to circumvent for the casual thief.

Like others I prefer to start and then stop at lower helm allowing time to listen to engines.
Master on/off at lower, cold start and stop at lower. start buttons lower and fly bridge.

That said, I was thinking of wiring in 3 way switches for just in case I need a quick start from bridge. The masters would have to be on at all times to accommodate and could be fed from main power on switch. Stop would still be at lower and seldom needs an immediate action. (or maybe another project)

I do not have a key switch, just a manual switch at the lower helm but I do have on the flybridge with a start and stop that works just fine. Just trying to figure out the best way to wire a switch at the flybridge.

Two master switches might get a little complicated. The only practical way to do it is to set it up like a 3 way light switch. That way you can turn it off at the lower helm even thou it's "on" at the upper helm. However - not sure but the master switch may in fact switch more than one independent loop. May be unique to the engine mfg. If this is the case, a simple three way light scheme may not switch enough loops - may be too complex to practically to work.

Our boat is set like others - keys on the lower, so have to crank downstairs, but that is ok so i can hear how the engines sound. Can shut down from FB but the loud buzzers will keep buzzing unless I Go down and turn the keys off. But would love to be able to shut down from FB and re-crank. In the South we can keep engines running in locks, but I have heard that on the Erie and in Canada you have to shut engines off in the locks - will be a real PIA. We will be doing the LOOP soon.

3 way switch.jpg
adapt into current setup. Substitute word light's for power to starter button. You will need to run 3 wires from lower to upper. two will be travelers and third will return power to lower start from middle connection which also feeds upper start. The power input at lower can still be from an on/off switch

Our boat is set like others - keys on the lower, so have to crank downstairs, but that is ok so i can hear how the engines sound. Can shut down from FB but the loud buzzers will keep buzzing unless I Go down and turn the keys off. But would love to be able to shut down from FB and re-crank. In the South we can keep engines running in locks, but I have heard that on the Erie and in Canada you have to shut engines off in the locks - will be a real PIA. We will be doing the LOOP soon.

Why do you believe it will be a PITA?

1986 marine trader here. Same deal. Turn key in salon.

Only a PITA if you run from the fly bridge. Locks here (Trent-Severn/Rideau Canal) require engines off once in the lock. Stop engines from bridge and alarm buzzers sound until key is switched off, so, shut down engines from bridge, do you go down to catch lock line or first go to lower helm and turn off key to silence buzzer then try to catch lock line.
Not an issue if locks don’t require engine shutdown such as Illinois or Ohio or Tenn-Tom.

James

Thank goodness I've only one bridge and don't need to concern myself with this issue. :)

Last edited:
Only a PITA if you run from the fly bridge. Locks here (Trent-Severn/Rideau Canal) require engines off once in the lock. Stop engines from bridge and alarm buzzers sound until key is switched off, so, shut down engines from bridge, do you go down to catch lock line or first go to lower helm and turn off key to silence buzzer then try to catch lock line.
Not an issue if locks don’t require engine shutdown such as Illinois or Ohio or Tenn-Tom.

James

No, you first secure your boat with all lines. Once completed go into the PH and shut down the engines.

No lock tender is going to stand there and shout at you once a line is grabbed - "hey shut those effing engines off!"

Jeez.

Just for info, I have to lock out every time I leave my dock and lock in to get back.

My 1985 Marine Trader has key at lower helm only. Shortly after I bought the boat, I found out that the upper helm start and stop switch didn't work. I learned this after my engine stalled coming into the dock and pushing the start button had no effect. I would recommend that everyone with upper helm switches verify their proper operation, this may save you from some tense moments docking one day, or worse. If you have switches that don't work, I suspect that they have failed, not just not connected.

I don’t have a key switch at the lower helm, I have a switch and then I have one start and one stop. On the flybridge the only thing I have is one start push button and one stop push button

I don’t have a key switch at the lower helm, I have a switch and then I have one start and one stop. On the flybridge the only thing I have is one start push button and one stop push button

Same as our GB 36. Except the bridge buttons don’t function.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom