Old 04-28-2020, 07:13 PM   #41
Veteran Member

City: St. Clair Shores, MI
Vessel Name: Solvogn
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Meisinger View Post
I think I can start my Albin from above although I have never tried it. Same for the kill button, never used it.

Here is why. For starting, I like to hear the starter motor and the engine for a few seconds. Sometimes I will even stick my head into the engine compartment but if everything sounds good I generally don't bother. Besides, generally I was just down there checking the oil. It also gives me the opportunity to walk to the back on my way upstairs to check for water discharge.

For shut down, I generally let the boat idle down while I do the dock lines and fenders. A quick "listen" to the engine and then I kill it.

pete
Yes, this is the old way. The way of a person really in charge of the boat does it.

grandbanksbayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 08:23 PM   #42

City: Montgomery
Vessel Name: Choices
Vessel Model: 36 Grand Banks Europa
I have a 92 36. You close two breakers to energize engine control circuit, then buttons above and below are functional. No key.

Choices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 02:57 PM   #43
Guru

City: Fleming Island, Fl
Vessel Name: Sakura Perdido
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic
Start and stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastlake View Post
I have a 1986 grand Banks 36 classic, on the bridge I have a stop and start switch however I have to go to the salon to turn the master switch on and stop solenoid. The boat to my knowledge is factory. Has anybody run across this. I would like to be able to rig up a switch on the bridge to where I can turn the master and the stop solenoid without having to go down to the salon. I’m not sure why the boat has a start and stop switch on the bridge without a master switchand stop Solenoid switch. If Anybody has any information I would love to hear from you.
I have an 84 GB 36 Classic with exactly the same set up, so it must be factory. Not sure why they did it that way. The short answer to your question is: Yes, you can rig duel systems below and topside. A good Marine Electrician can wire that for you. Might require some coordination with a good diesel mech, I don't know. I've just left it as is and dealt with it since 95% of the time, I'm already in the saloon and or need to go into the engine room for something anyway.
Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 03:03 PM   #44
Guru

Start and stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigatoo View Post
We have an 84 GB 36. Hull 715. Same deal. Start and stop buttons on the bridge but they do not work. Seem to be original. My guess is that they were never wired in from the start. Haven’t gotten around to figuring it out yet as Boat is fairly new to us. Interested to hear what others have found.
Hello. Different topic but my 84 GB 36 classic is Hull 712, made in Singapore. I assume yours was as well.
Old 04-29-2020, 03:06 PM   #45
Guru

Start and stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Meisinger View Post
I think I can start my Albin from above although I have never tried it. Same for the kill button, never used it.

Here is why. For starting, I like to hear the starter motor and the engine for a few seconds. Sometimes I will even stick my head into the engine compartment but if everything sounds good I generally don't bother. Besides, generally I was just down there checking the oil. It also gives me the opportunity to walk to the back on my way upstairs to check for water discharge.

For shut down, I generally let the boat idle down while I do the dock lines and fenders. A quick "listen" to the engine and then I kill it.

pete
That's exactly my routine and for exactly the same reasons. I made the mistake of not doing that one time and the fuel return line on my generator ruptured and filled the bilge with 90 gals of diesel before I figured it out and got it stopped. Let me tell you how much fun it is to get 90 gals of diesel out of your bilge and disposed of properly.
Old 04-29-2020, 04:49 PM   #46
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryant View Post
Hello. Different topic but my 84 GB 36 classic is Hull 712, made in Singapore. I assume yours was as well.
Yes