Break in Ford Lehman 2715E

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mambo42

Guru
Vessel Name
Endless Summer
Vessel Make
1979 Defever 49
Unfortunately I had to change both my engines. Someone was kind enough to run the engines without the sea cocks open, so that was the end of them.

At the moment the old engines are out and the new engines are being put together. They have been completely overhauled, which means I should treat them as being new and that means a complete break in procedure.

I have been going through my service manual, but can't find the break in procedure anywhere. The only thing I have found is:

After first 15 hours:
- Change the oil
- Change the oil filter
- Check the valve clearance
- Check the idle speed

After 40 hours:
- retorque the cylinder head bolts.

I could not find anything about min or max RPM during those first hours. Nor could I find anything else I should pay attention to.

Does anyone here has some additional points I should be taking care of ? The yard that is replacing the engines is unfamiliar with Ford Lehman, so no help from them on that part.

Really appreciate all the input you guys can give.

There is indeed a break in period:

In the American Diesel Manual “L4C91” page A4 under “Run In”:

Run time RPM
15 min. Idle (no load)
15 min. 800
30 min. 1000
30 min. 1200
4 hours. 1500

I also recommend on each start up to hold down the stop solenoid while cranking for a bit to prelude.

This all said, confirm with Brian at American Diesel Corp (804) 435-3107

I did the break in listed above when I installed a reman.

There is indeed a break in period:

In the American Diesel Manual “L4C91” page A4 under “Run In”:

Run time RPM
15 min. Idle (no load)
15 min. 800
30 min. 1000
30 min. 1200
4 hours. 1500

I also recommend on each start up to hold down the stop solenoid while cranking for a bit to prelude.

This all said, confirm with Brian at American Diesel Corp (804) 435-3107

Thanks so much, that is great information and also makes more sense than just an oil change. All these RPM settings are with no load or they have to be with load ?

I am guessing there is some sort of warranty on the overhaul. I would ask the overhauler for their instructions. Best to get something in writing / email.

I agree with contacting the rebuilder.....

While American Diesel has it's merits....it has no clue what is in that rebuilt engine..... maybe the rebuilder may suggest American Diesel...but I would start with the rebuilder.

I agree with contacting the rebuilder.....

While American Diesel has it's merits....it has no clue what is in that rebuilt engine..... maybe the rebuilder may suggest American Diesel...but I would start with the rebuilder.

I spoke both with the rebuilder and with Brian. Brian was extremely helpful and advised me to stick to the procedure written in the manual. But when I went through my service manual there was nothing in it. I have the original service manual from 1979, perhaps that is the reason why I can't find anything.

The rebuilder has tested the engines for 3 hours with a water brake, but once they are in the boat he told me it might take up to 2500 hours before the engines will perform optimal. Am not sure I am going to see that number in my lifetime, don't have so many years left.
He told me I should expect a higher oil and fuel consumption in the first couple of hundred hours due to the parts (pistons, piston rings, cylinder sleeves etc) needing to get worn in.
Both Brian and the rebuilder told me that abuse is usually the reason why the engines have excessive wear and tear. In other words, this time I want to avoid abusing them from the get go, which means I will go for a 40 hour break in trip, just to make sure the engines are properly handled during that period, which will be just prior to putting the boat into the marina for the winter period. During the winter they might need to run the engines for a little bit every month, but I don't want them to do that with brand new engines, since idling will only increase the glazing. And that is something I don't want on brand new engines.
Putting the boat immediately in a winter sleep period after installing them does not strike me like a good idea either. Unfortunately I cannot stay here all winter long, so need to find a happy median for the whole thing. Most likely it will come down to me doing circles around the bay of Corfu all day long, just to put hours on the engines. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom