Bow-thruster covers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
"Dragon Lady"
Vessel Make
DeFever 41
The fouling is really bad where I keep my boat - salt water lagoon with little if any flow. Scraping the hull and running gear using scuba gear is something of a chore, but cleaning coral and stuff out of the bow-thruster is a real PITA. This little arrangement of ice cream tubs and PVC water pipe keeps everything in there nice and clean. Just have to remember to remove it before using the thruster - don't ask me how I know this. And yes, some people do ask if it's a launching trolley.

Attachments

• DSC00179.jpg
    DSC00179.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 130
  • DSC00175.jpg
    DSC00175.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 117
  • DSC00177.jpg
    DSC00177.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 127
Very ingenious idea. I bet people in other parts of the world could benefit from this idea, too.

Very Cool! What a great idea!

Indeed, I will pass that tip on around our marina, as plenty have the thrusters. although I don't. Great ideas are usually quite simple, leaving many saying, "now, why didn't I think of that?"

Greetings,
Simple, cheap, potential for shredded plastic and having to eat more ice cream....Hmmmm.....NO downside as far as I can see...

Greetings,
Simple, cheap, potential for shredded plastic and having to eat more ice cream....Hmmmm.....NO downside as far as I can see...

I definitely LoL'd!!! :rofl:

Do you have to get into the water to install or remove it? If not, how is it done?

From the photos it looks like you just spread the two side pieces to pull the plastic plugs out of the bow thruster cavity. Installation would be the same action. You coud do it from the dock in front of the boat or if the side pieces were long enough perhaps from the pulpit or point of the bow of the boat.

From the photos it looks like you just spread the two side pieces to pull the plastic plugs out of the bow thruster cavity. Installation would be the same action. You coud do it from the dock in front of the boat or if the side pieces were long enough perhaps from the pulpit or point of the bow of the boat.

Marin has hit the nail on the head. Neutral buoyancy is the trick and each plug has 3 small holes spaced round the edge of the lid to allow them to fill with water. Good visibility helps, although sometimes I have to do it by feel and a couple of tell-tale marks on the hull..

It's sort of like a bowthruster equivalent of the ear phones style outboard flushing trick. I guess you line them up either side of the bow, pull them apart enough to then slide them towards the stern to they 'click' into place.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom