Borg Warner Velvet Drive Tranny Fluid Change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know, but it has better lubrication qualities than ATF.
I know that as an engineer I worked at a bearing company (but I was not a bearing engineer) and the application guys hated when they had to spec a bearing for use in ATF because the expected life was lower. That was my impetus for wanting to switch to "motor oil".
I am running a low enough rpm to use "motor oil" per BW specs. (which I think is 2600 rpm max but I don't feel like looking it up;)).

I'm sure motor oil is better for bearings, but Velvet Drives almost never fail due to bearing problems.

Ken

HaHa in this case I folowed my trans rebuilders recomendation. I assumed the gears and clutches needed the anti-foaming qualities. Forty HP engine on a trans made for 200hp engines is not going to be stressing the trans. But because of my low power input I have a 1/3rd size oil pump gear. Less power loss. I run over 2500rpm less than 1% of the time ... that's my high speed cruise (6.4 knots).
Perhaps ATF is better for the seals. That's the only problem I expect from the BW.

It's most likely like the 15W-40 v/s SW engine oil. May be several hundred years before anybody notices a difference.

Last edited:
Anyone ever try 50/50 (or some other % mix) ATF/engine oil... in a BW Velvet drive tran?

For older motors it is good to add one court ATF to crankcase oil for ungumming piston oil rings

Ugg. I would never do that.

I have Dexron 3 n mine.
How about using Dexron 6?

Idea is less frictional bearing drag.
I also notice, when winter is on, the prop shaft is harder to spin by hand due to real cold Dexron 3.

Other thing is Dexron 3 might just disappear from stores.

I have a super slow leak on my starboard side velvet drive. So maybe this winter I will take it down and replace the gasket. So it will be totally empty of oil. Or I may just ignore it. Leak is between the forward case and the gear reduction unit.

Last edited:
I did some checking and according to GM, Dexron VI is backward compatible with all Dexron versions. My manual says ATF is preferred, SAE30 is ok to use under 3000 RPM. it specifically states not to use multi viscosity engine oils.

Ken

Last edited:
I did some checking and according to GM, Dexron VI is backward compatible with all Dexron versions. My manual says ATF is preferred, SAE30 is ok to use under 3000 RPM. it specifically states not to use multi viscosity engine oils.

Ken

Agreed... old school Ford ATF is highly recommended... for BW Velvets.

According to the multi decade expert who for decades has handled all my vehicles' trany needs (services, and rebuilds... including one BW Velvet, due to water leak) Dextron III ATF is fine to use.

Back
Top Bottom