BMW Diesel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SlowGypsy

Vessel Name
Chickadee
Vessel Make
Pilgrim 40
Any information or opinion (I know, I really asked for it with that one!) on the BMW D150W marine diesel?
A search revealed absolutely nothing, and I am completely unfamiliar with this beast.

Parts and service? I know where Bruce Mines is, and I think you should stick to Cummins, Cat, JD

Very few BMW diesels were sold in Australia due to their shocking lack of longevity it was common for a rebuild at 600 hours . The 2 cylinder model used in sail boats lasted 300 hours . . Some BMW engines were just rebaged ???? I doubt if you could find spare parts anywhere 7 years after the last one was sold in Ozz the agent closed there doors due to not been able to find parts that was around 1987 ??

BMW engines are probably great engines.

I've not owned cars or anything else made by BMW but there are very very few engines you should stay away from.

There was a thread on BMW engines that resulted from an inquiry by a man that looked at a Lord Nelson Tyg. You probably are too but much good information was contained in that thread.

The obvious downside is the parts and service availability.

Yes, I am also looking at a Lord Nelson Victory Tug. I did an advanced search on TF, and got zero hits. If anyone has a link to the thread you referred to, I'd appreciate it!
Hoping to hear from someone who has actual experience with this engine.

Look on the LNVT forum( Lord Nelson Victory Tug ) their early models all had these in them . I was looking at one when I had William up for sale . It had that same engine in it .

I tried that, but couldn't find an active forum.
I did find lnvt.org, but didn't get any info other than the fact they switched from BMW's to Cummins after the first thirty or so hulls.
I shall continue to dig!

I think they have an active blog on their site . There was one for sale on YW with a bunch of spare parts .

I think the 150 is actually a VM Motori block with BMW bits for marine service. Parts availability a crapshoot.

The D150 and D190 are VM Motori. All of the smaller ones are marinized water cooled versions of an air-cooled Hatz. I gave mine to a guy, Richard Langtry, who does business as V12 Engineering. He has some new and used parts. He also has all manuals online.

No knowledge of BMW marine diesels, but I owned a 20' runabout with a 190hp BMW gas engine w/BMW outdrive. The parts, if I was lucky enough to find, were ridiculously expensive. Beautiful machine, but never again.

I remember own a sailboat with a small BMW diesel, do not remember the model but was a total crap. After 2 year, engine blow a piston, rod and half engine on the process. Found a lost soul who offer to take out for free. I remember was aluminum block (??) anyway, if you see any small BMW diesel engine.. run!!

Marinizing auto engines is frequently a problem as the auto power numbers are used .

To figure long term reliability the old rule of thumb 3cubic inches for 1 HP will keep the engine together over the long term..

A great deal on a boat with a euro or other bastard engine might not be that big a hassle.

IF the engine is still made and well supported, freight shippments from Euro land are fast and not too expensive.

Any information or opinion (I know, I really asked for it with that one!) on the BMW D150W marine diesel?
A search revealed absolutely nothing, and I am completely unfamiliar with this beast.

here in Europe and BMW marine diesels were some boats, not so popular, due to Volvo Penta's sovereign market leader here. Mercruiser acquired the entire business of the BMW company around 1989 and the name was changed when Mercruiser. BMW car diesel marine nothing to do with.

that is, you can find information about the early diesel engines Mercruiser is the same as the BMW Marine.

when you look at the boats used, can be found in the BMW still the original machines, so you can conclude that they are OK. I remember hearing a heat exchanger is sometimes a problem, but this is usually due to unfinished maintenance ..

if you need more information on BMW engines, send a message direct to me, tell me the motor model, so I can see what I find information.

Kippis!
NBs

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom