Bent up a prop last weekend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well after fighting Fedex for the insurance they finaly paid up at the begining of March. Ran me around for weeks, wanting proof of value. 3 estiments for repair.. and on and on.
But on a good note, my spare props are now finished and can be installed.

As for the new props that I orderd from Michican in August... They should be shipped the first of April. Now do I hold my breath and wait for the new ones to show up and install them. Or just pull the boat and install my spare set and be on my way. Our fist trip out is scheudled for April 22nd.

Attachments

• Prop.jpg
    Prop.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 21
When you get the new ones I would take them to a Prop Scan and have them checked. They will usually do the check for free. I have seen brand new props out of alignment.

When you get the new ones I would take them to a Prop Scan and have them checked. They will usually do the check for free. I have seen brand new props out of alignment.

Took the words right outa my mouth. The prop shop found one of five blades on my new-to-me boat a whole inch out of alignment with the other four. It was a low-hour boat with a Hy-Torq prop, and the prop had not evidence of impact. Shop owner said this finding was not unusual for new props.

It really sucks that you can’t trust a new prop to be accurate. But that seems to be par for the course.

Took the words right outa my mouth. The prop shop found one of five blades on my new-to-me boat a whole inch out of alignment with the other four. It was a low-hour boat with a Hy-Torq prop, and the prop had not evidence of impact. Shop owner said this finding was not unusual for new props.

If this was a new to you boat with only one blade affected this is sometimes caused during prop install/removal. I have seen some yards and some owners block a blade when using a large breaker bar on the shaft nut.
It should not happen but it sometimes does happen.

If this was a new to you boat with only one blade affected this is sometimes caused during prop install/removal. I have seen some yards and some owners block a blade when using a large breaker bar on the shaft nut.
It should not happen but it sometimes does happen.

New Fleming's come with a propsmith from the factory.

If you don't have one on your new to you boat it would be a great investment.

I made a puller for our last boat. It was simple and cheap to make. And it doesn’t pull on the blades.

Attachments

• A79092FD-C721-43ED-B44B-F60BF2035EE2.jpg
    A79092FD-C721-43ED-B44B-F60BF2035EE2.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 20
The prop shop loaned me one of the big C clamp style pullers, it didn’t touch it. They said beat on it with a sledge and knock the prop off. I don’t like beating on my props or shaft. With the one I made it came off pretty easily and in a much more controlled fashion. One came off with a bang and the other one came off without a sound.

It was a good day today. I ordered a set of Props on 8-12-21. And today they showed up! Pulling the boat Saturday to install them. I will keep the spares as such and try to decide if I am going to pack them on the boat or keep them at home.

...we found out that a Diver was hired for the neighboring boat as they ran over a bit of crab pot line. I got the number and called her and she said that she would take a look for us.

I'd like to reach out to your diver. Can you provide contact info? Thanks.

I'd like to reach out to your diver. Can you provide contact info? Thanks.

Sorry, I have looked buy have not found it. Her name was Darby, I think she is a local and well known in the area, ask around.
Very nice person and did a good job.

Back
Top Bottom