Old 06-01-2013, 12:24 PM   #1
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 38'
Baldwin Oil Filter # for Perkins?

I had stored all pertinent filter sizes in phone which crashed.
Anyone have handy the filter # for 1984 Perk 6.534? non turbo. Wanted to pick some up in Seattle this afternoon. Thanks
Max Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 02:41 PM   #2
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
Baldwin BT-251 if it is the spin-on type.
Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:31 PM   #3
Guru

City: Here
I rebuilt a Perkins 6-354 years ago and when I started it got instant smike, much more than before the rebuild. I win't go into all the details But I worked on this for weeks with a couple of very respected diesel mechanics. I was near the point of tearing it down again when one of the mechanics said " lets call Perkins". So we called Perkins and ended up talknig to an old guy wh's name actually turned up on the build list from 1971.

The very first question the old guy asked was "What kind of oil filter did you put on". We told him we had put on the Fram equivalent. He responded with "Get that %$#@*&%$# piece of *&^% off my engine.
He told us that the Perkins filter had a relief valve and none of the "equivalents" did.... ignored the crazy ol' fart.

We screwed around for another unsuccessful week and finally stuck on a Perkins filter....... absolutely no smoke !!!!!

It would take pages to explain the issue but it has to do with Perkins having wet and dry sumps with a scavenger pump. I should have listened to the old fart the first time.
boatpoker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:20 PM   #4
Guru

City: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Old School
Vessel Model: 38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products
I think they all (Fram, Purolator, etc.) have relief valves now. I am running a Fram on my 4-236 now, no smoke other than startup.
Gulf Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:26 PM   #5
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf Comanche View Post
I think they all (Fram, Purolator, etc.) have relief valves now. I am running a Fram on my 4-236 now, no smoke other than startup.
Negative. Take one apart. You'll never buy another one.
Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:52 PM   #6
Guru

City: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Old School
Vessel Model: 38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products
Sounds bad Spy, whats wrong w/ Fram? I've used them on just about every machine I own, no oil issues to date. Cutting one up is a nasty piece of work.
Gulf Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:57 PM   #7
Guru

Cut open a new one then. They're cheap enough, and you'll find out why.

I used a zip cutter on my grinder. A hacksaw or sawzall would work.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:50 AM   #8
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
If you saw my previous thread about the spin-on filters for this same engine (w/turbo) you might remember that the PO just put in the filters that NAPA gave him as a replacement part (and they didn't really fit, length-wise.)

I ended up ordering the Donaldson P550678s that were discussed in that thread.

Are those going to be OK? I don't think I have a smoke problem. Maybe a little until they warm up, I've seen worse, and I've seen better.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:39 AM   #9
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Why the reluctance to use OEM filters? After many decades in the equipment business and learning a little bit about filtration, warranties and products, I can only but agree with Spy - all filters are not created equal.

Last summer in a pinch I used book similar rated NAPA "Gold" filters. I was pleased that no oil spilled when I took them off, but then realized that lack of mess happened for a reason, NO check valve to hold oil in filter. Oil held in the filter allows the oil pressure to build up more quickly and put lubricant where it is needed after a multi week shutdown
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:24 AM   #10
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Simmons View Post
I had stored all pertinent filter sizes in phone which crashed.
Anyone have handy the filter # for 1984 Perk 6.534? non turbo. Wanted to pick some up in Seattle this afternoon. Thanks
My 6.354 uses BT-237 Baldwins. They make a great filter and have the data to back it up on their web site. Check it out and decide for yourself. They also are great at replying to email questions. With the added bonus of being American made ;-)

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1278703461.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	19986
Old 06-02-2013, 06:03 PM   #11
JAT
Guru

Vessel Name: Just a Tinch
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 MC
I buy the Perkins branded filters for my 6.354 NA's.....they don't cost me any more than NAPA or anyone else's.....

http://www.perkinspartsdirect.com/To...s-filters.aspx
JAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:50 PM   #12
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
My 6.354 uses BT-237 Baldwins. They make a great filter and have the data to back it up on their web site.
Attachment 19986
This begs the question, why not use OEM? Of course Baldwin's website will extol the virtues of their filter. With Cat having owned Perkins for a decade or more, that expertise I'd trust before Baldwin, knowing what Cat goes through to design their filters.

The filter cross reference sheets only are used to insure the threads, dimensions and seals match up, little to do with design internally. It is common for an engine builder to recommend oil filters, I know Cat is happy with Napa, but not all of them unless they meet flowrate, particle size catchment, paper chemistry and gunk mass holding until plugged.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:05 PM   #13
Guru

With all due respect re: the relief valve story, the relief valve only comes into play if the filter should become completely plugged and would have no effect on a new or rebuilt engine startup. Perkins filters are made for them by the low bidder Fram, Baldwin, Wix, Hastings, Purolator whomever can meet their specs (media, relief pressure, checkvalve) I'm sure the Perkins filters are great but so aren't Baldwin, Wix, & Hastings and if the mfg. calls for a X lb. relief valve, that's what the aftermarket filter has.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:47 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooksie View Post
With all due respect re: the relief valve story, the relief valve only comes into play if the filter should become completely plugged and would have no effect on a new or rebuilt engine startup. Perkins filters are made for them by the low bidder Fram, Baldwin, Wix, Hastings, Purolator whomever can meet their specs (media, relief pressure, checkvalve) I'm sure the Perkins filters are great but so aren't Baldwin, Wix, & Hastings and if the mfg. calls for a X lb. relief valve, that's what the aftermarket filter has.

Actually the bypass relief often comes into play during startup when the oil is viscous. Remember that the pressure "rating" is actually differential pressure. The dp is relative to the inherent porosity of the filter media, the pour point and viscosity of the oil and the cleanliness of the filter media.

Bypass settings are really to protect the filter from collapsing.

Here is a comparison list I did for my 12HT Land Cruiser engine. Quite a bit of difference.

TOYOTA 15601-68010
No info

Donaldson P550707
OD: 4.27”
Height: 5.63”
Thread: M30 X 1.5
Gasket OD: 3.3”
Relief Setting: 18-21 PSI
Anti-drain valve: Yes
Micron rating:

Fleetguard LF 3399
OD: 4.239”
Height: 5.715”
Thread: M30 X 1.5-6H INT
BPV Setting: 32.49 PSI
Micron rating:

Luberfiner LFP923
OD: 4.28”
Height: 5.69”
Thread: M30 x 1.5
Micron rating:

NAPA Gold 1627
OD: 4.252”
Height: 5.571”
Thread: 30 x 1.50mm
Gasket ID: 3”
Gasket OD: 3.4”
Gasket Thickness: 0.31”
Micron rating:

WIX 51627
OD: 4.252”
Height: 5.571”
Thread: 30 x 1.50mm
Gasket ID: 3”
Gasket OD: 3.4”
Gasket Thickness: 0.31”
By-Pass Valve Setting: 10 PSI
Micron rating:

Fram PH4704
No web info

Baldwin BT 221
O.D. : 4 1/4"
Height : 5 5/8"
Thread : M30 x 1.5
By-pass valve : 32 PSI
Old 06-03-2013, 11:37 AM   #15
Guru

Spy, my point wasn't that the different brands of filters would not vary by a few tenths in size & relief valve setting but that the use of a non-OEM filter would not cause oil burning. Max sounded like he had a horizontal engine which has a dry sump system, still the filter choice would have no relation to his oil consumption as the scavanged oil does not run through a filter when returning to the "tank". Other than a mechanical problem, I would guess overfilling was the problem.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:34 PM   #16
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
I just order Perkins filter for 6.354 I hope it takes care of my problem. The Perkins parts guy did not think it would help.He thought I probably had some leaky injectors.
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote