Vessel Model: Custom Built
Good job

Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:14 PM   #22
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I'm hanging my head in shame with that double zip tie fuel line hanger.

You weren't supposed to see that! Guess I've gotta change it now...

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:24 PM   #23
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
I'm hanging my head in shame with that double zip tie fuel line hanger.

You weren't supposed to see that! Guess I've gotta change it now...
Well when it is working you know... Better not to check my ER! The PO did a 4 feet long wire sheathing with electric tape, very nice looking, especially after some year with the heat
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 01:18 PM   #24
TF Site Team

I just had an interesting conversation with Brian of British Marine in Oakland. He was running his boat with a 4.236 down the coast and noticed the oil pressure at zero as he started his watch. (no alarms) He shut down and found his oil cooler had failed, dumping his oil overboard. He bypassed the oil cooler as I have here but didn't have enough engine oil. He only had gallon of vegetable oil, so he used that and ran the boat for another 30 hrs (!!!) to his destination. He said the engine never skipped a beat.

When he returned home, he opened up the engine and it was just fine. He also said that the tranny cooler on this engine handles only a light load of excess tranny fluid and does not have much impact on gear temps. He said it's not really under pressure. Kinda makes me wonder why they even bothered with the coolers.

Gotta love a Perkins! New cooler on order.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:39 PM   #25
TF Site Team

Got the new oil cooler in and it went smoothly. No spills, no dings, no errors. Now that I know it's a good fit, I've got #2 on order for replacement on the port side.

Thanks all for the advice and support. Now I've got a water hose and a couple oil line nipples in the fix-it kit as a bypass solution just in case! Maybe that's not a bad idea as a work-around for a critical engine component that typically lasts such a long time that it may not be practical to carry a spare oil cooler. But a bypass kit is cheap, light and compact.

Cheers!

Old 01-19-2017, 10:48 PM   #26
TF Site Team

BTW, even though I had installed the bypass kit for my BIL and nephew's fishing trip, I didn't run the boat out of the slip with it installed. The guys wisely postponed their trip until early March so we'll likely have better wx and fishing conditions.

So, unfortunately, I didn't have the opportunity to collect comparison data with and without the cooler. That public service comparison will have to wait for another day.