Bad fuel tank - looking for options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nageldan

We recently purchased a 44' 1985 Island Gypsy and made the unfortunate discovery that the starboard fuel tank is rusted out on the top and leaks badly when on rougher waters. The time and money required to pull the engine and put in a new tank isn't an option for us. Looking for alternative solutions to a bad fuel tank. The port tank has some rust but still seems to have structural integrity.

I sawzalled both mine out and replaced with plastic tanks, smaller than I wanted but was able to install without removing anything, and can add a couple more in the future if needed.
I was probably all in around $1600 in parts. 2 new 37 gallon tanks, new fuel valve and all new supply, return and fill fuel lines, new deck fills.

If you can get access to the top of tank you can probably patch it enough to stop leaking and don't fill it up.

Good Luck!!

The previous owner of my boat had the same problem. He installed a patch using a sealant and self tapping screws I think the patch sealed well.

The problem was that water had already entered the tank and ended up corroding the tank bottom to the point where the bottom leaked.

Like Charlie, I ended up taking the sawzall to the tank . . . (I wrote a report on the whole operation - you can see it at
https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/replacing-fuel-tank-chb34-61546.html)

Good luck,
Nick

Attachments

• 29117920267_6ae6ed55c4_o.jpg
    29117920267_6ae6ed55c4_o.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 29117935017_d64609d92f_o.jpg
    29117935017_d64609d92f_o.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Great idea! Where did you find the small tanks?
I purchased Ameri-Kart tanks through Great Lakes Skipper, I went with them because they had them in stock and ready to ship. I had them in 3 days.

If I had more time I would have tried sourcing Moeller tanks but they were a bit more money.

I recently checked into the poly tanks myself because I had a leaking tank. I called the company, they are in TN, do not remember the name, and asked if they could be used in the engine room. He said they were not recommended to be placed in the engine room.

Not sure if that is an issue with your location, just information.

I could have still utilized, and probably been ok, but if there was ever an issue then likely the insurance would not cover it.

Are your tanks salvageable? If so, there are a host of sites that deal with coatings. Begin with productls like this: Belzona.com
If not, look for small tanks that can be inserted into the huge space left when you are finished with the Sawzall.

Are the tanks just leaking at the top?

If so I would try to repair them as the PO of Nick's boat or with fibreglass and epoxy.

We recently purchased a 44' 1985 Island Gypsy and made the unfortunate discovery that the starboard fuel tank is rusted out on the top and leaks badly when on rougher waters. The time and money required to pull the engine and put in a new tank isn't an option for us. Looking for alternative solutions to a bad fuel tank. The port tank has some rust but still seems to have structural integrity.

I would think long and hard before pulling the engine.
Getting it out is easy..... getting 'something' back in may take serious planning.

If you disturb the engine, other problems may appear. Things have a way of cascading.

You picked a fine time to discover this.... the beginning of boating season.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom