Back Cove 30 level of engine noise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Don P

Hi, I’m new to the forum.
My wife and I are considering the purchase of a Back Cove 30 with a Yanmar 6LY 380 hp engine. We would like to know if anyone has experience with the level of engine noise when operating at cruising speed. Approx 2800 rpm.
We had a Mainship Pilot 30 with a Yanmar 6LP and we found it to be very loud. We’re wondering how the Back Cove would compare with this.
Thank you,
Don

I'm not sure how well it will compare, but we had a Back Cove 29 with Volvo D6-330. It was deafening. We both had to wear ear plugs. As I recall high 80s to low 90s db range. I would highly recommend a test run and take db measurements. SPLnFFT is a really good phone app for sound measurements, and reviews show it to be quite accurate.

My experience is that the Back Cove 30 is noisy at high power levels. That is true for virtually all downeaster style boats where the helm is only a few feet in front of the engine.

David

I guess if you want a Downeast style boat it’s something that you have to put up with.
Does anyone know if the Legacy 32 is any quieter than the other manufacturers?

I’m sure that it could be quieted down with some re-engineering, and some $$.
I’ve run boats where the helm seat was mounted to the top of the engine box, but still had very acceptable noise level.
A while back, someone on this forum suggested that a heavy custom “blanket” could be draped over a noisy motor, removable for service. Intrigueing idea!

Blanket? Hmmmm, I bought a welder's blanket to throw over my Treager grill when the wind is blowing to retain the heat inside the grill. It does a great job and will not burn.

It does a great job. I have it folded in half a couple of times to fit the size of the grill. This would probably work for quieting down your noise level and it's under $25 at Harbor Freight. Mine is not as big as the one in the photo, mine is only 4' x 6'.

image_14169.jpg

My experience is that the Back Cove 30 is noisy at high power levels. That is true for virtually all downeaster style boats where the helm is only a few feet in front of the engine.

David

On our Grand Banks I don't think the helm was more than 3' from one of the two engines, and it was substantially quieter than the BC.

Is there something different about a down east style? I had always just attributed it to the quantity and quality of the sound treatment, including mufflers, etc. We brought in Soundown to evaluate what could be done on our 29, and probably the biggest constraint was space. There just wasn't room, or access to do much in a 29' boat.

The BC is a planing boat, so engine is run at a high power setting. Trawlers are much quieter with engines running easy.

And then there is prop noise when planing. That noise gets into boat structure and then resonates in the pilot house.

My planing boat is similar. Very quiet at 8kts. But running 20-25kts, it is pretty loud. Some from the motor, some from the prop. At 16kts, it is still pretty quiet.

I think most of my noise is prop. I'm running a 3b wheel, and would like to try a 4b and see if it is much better.

I don't think I have been on a planing 30-40' boat with pilot house directly over the engine that has been quiet. Nature of the beasts.

In the Sea magazine I just received, there is a Back Cove 34 with outboards. I wonder if there will be a 30 with outboards? Could that be a better fit in the noise department? They sure are good-looking boats and would be a contender for us in the coastal cruising category.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the information. It’s a beautiful boat. I think that my wife and I will have to put up with some noise In order to experience all of the great features that the Back Cove has to offer.

The blanket referenced earlier was to be built like an exhaust wrap, custom fitted motor quilt with appropriate ventilation and safety features to keep it out of intake, belts, etc.
Don’t think it ever happened, though.
Outboards are a good option, very quiet, and usually mounted way out back, plus it frees up a ton of room midship!

Back
Top Bottom