Old 05-07-2019, 12:19 PM   #21
Guru

City: Walkabout Creek
For what it's worth, I think the IEC pin and sleeve plugs are the best of all, used pretty much everywhere in the world except North America.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:49 PM   #22
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
For what it's worth, I think the IEC pin and sleeve plugs are the best of all, used pretty much everywhere in the world except North America.

I was not familiar with them. They do look really solid with lots of contact area.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 01:59 PM   #23
Guru

City: Walkabout Creek
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I was not familiar with them. They do look really solid with lots of contact area.

They are almost too big. I'm using one for a dock-to-shore connection for dock power, and it's a beast. The plug is a good foot long, and has a truly water proof IP67 connection to the receptacle, unlike all the US plugs which are a joke in that regard. And when the receptacle is not in use, it has a flip-down water proof cover.
Old 05-10-2019, 01:35 PM   #24
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Iíve had the SP inlets and cord for 7 years or so, absolutely no problems. Being a live aboard most of the time Iíll have a pretty heavy load when heating or cooling the boat. I did get a $100.00 reduction on my insurance premium. I just bought a 2nd pair of inlets to install on the port side. Iíll get started on that when the flooding is over and the marina is back in service. No power on the docks for well over a week and no water this year.
Old 11-18-2019, 02:01 PM   #25
Guru

City: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Old School
Vessel Model: 38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products
Well, another failed attempt at setting my boat on fire. South Louisiana was pretty chilly this weekend and we were running the electric heaters full time. Photo results attached. Next stop Smart Plug which will be a big improvement when plugging in, no more guessing where the L shaped prong goes in the dark.
Attached Thumbnails
CCC2C01A-D0C3-4B7D-84C9-459125507FE0.jpg   FD3D741D-861E-4EFB-B714-83542CC4EC2C.jpg   27CE2050-58F7-4381-9273-B6A7356A778F.jpg  
Gulf Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 02:23 PM   #26
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Long term Smart Plug advocate- first with twin 30A, and now with a single 50A.

Side note- my office is directly upstairs from SmartPlug corporate office and manufacturing facility!

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 05:32 PM   #27
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I love the Smart plug first because of the safety issue and second because how easy it is to plug in. Mine are down low on the side deck and I love not having to kneel down to plug in the power cords..
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 07:30 AM   #28
FF
Guru

The plugs used by the RV industry , 4 pins made for ranges ,do not seem to have the problems that "marine" twist lock plugs have.

The pins are at least 3X 4X the surface area and self wipe each time they are inserted.

Not water proof unless in a proper box with a cover , but since the plugs are solid copper any green can be wiped off with a scouring pad in seconds.

Take a look in a RV store or at any big box store.The RV units cost more bur come with a built in handle to make removal easy.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 07:37 AM   #29
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
It is worth the extra expense if for no other reason that I no longer have to struggle on my hands and knees plugging in that damn four-prong beast down low and very difficult to access along a narrow gunwhale. Not to mention just push in and forget. So, yeah, you can make it work well, most of the time but it's not for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by syjos View Post
We have been using the Marinco and Hubbel 30 amp fittings for nearly 40 years without problems. Not even burn marks on the spades. The key is to keep the plugs clean and the locking ring tight. Shoot it with a temperature gun when running close to 30 amps and check the temp of the fitting. If it is hot, time to clean or replace the plug or inlet.

Without the thermal cutoff, the improvement offered by Smart Plug is not worth the extra expense.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 07:50 AM   #30

City: Tarrytown, NY
I had installed after my original one started smoking and fried both the cord side and the boat side. If using original cord with new plug head, make sure to seal around cable as if not done correctly, water can get in.....
legacy1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 09:58 AM   #31
Wannabe

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
I installed a 250V/50A SP receptacle and plug after this happened to my Marinco last spring.
Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 01:15 PM   #32
Guru

City: Palm Coast, FL
Vessel Name: Coquina
Vessel Model: Lagoon 380
Can't wait to see how we do with 500 Amp/400 Volt EV plugs and sockets.
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 02:50 PM   #33
Guru

City: Looking
Vessel Name: --
Vessel Model: Between boats
Folks, PLEASE inspect your shore power contacts regularly and use dielectric grease on them to prevent corrosion.

I'd be willing to bet MOST of the burned photos above would not have occurred were it not for corrosion present on the burned contact. Corrosion causes higher resistance. Higher resistance generates heat when high power loads are used. ......can be A LOT of heat.

I have used lots of the old standard Marinco type connectors on at least 10 different boats over 30 years and had no problems with any of them. I kept the contacts clean and checked them regularly.

A smartplug is certainly better, given the increased contact area yielding lower resistance. It can therefore tolerate SOME more corrosion before heating. But --- IT IS NOT THE SOLUTION to this problem!!! These, too can fail if not kept up. The solution is clean contacts - on any type of shore power cable.
m/v SCOUT Projects Page
boathealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 03:00 PM   #34
Wannabe

I agree with your recommendation to check and clean contacts. I would also suggest that the Smart Plug is much better weather sealed than the Marinco and so there is much less corrosion to contend with. Also, during the winter I will frequently run the boat somewhere close to the 50A capacity for extended periods of time. I think these high loads also exacerbate the problem.

Note that the failed plug/socket that I posted was less than a year old and showed very little signs of corrosion before failure.

Richard
Old 11-19-2019, 03:52 PM   #35
Guru

City: Palm Coast, FL
Vessel Name: Coquina
Vessel Model: Lagoon 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britannia View Post

Note that the failed plug/socket that I posted was less than a year old and showed very little signs of corrosion before failure.

Richard
Ouch; what will be different next year?
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 05:15 PM   #36
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by boathealer View Post
A smartplug is certainly better, given the increased contact area yielding lower resistance. It can therefore tolerate SOME more corrosion before heating. But --- IT IS NOT THE SOLUTION to this problem!!! These, too can fail if not kept up. The solution is clean contacts - on any type of shore power cable.
I thought the Smartplug had the additional protection of shutting down if it got hot. It isn't just a better contact design. Cleaning the contact is a solution to corrosion, but thermal shutdown is the solution for burned contacts.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 05:23 PM   #37
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
They had to take the overheat shut down out since when it cooled down it would turn back on without notice. If you were working on the A/C while it was shut down, it could power back on and you wouldnít know the circuit was energized. Too bad because the overheat shut off was a nice feature.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 06:32 PM   #38
Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver dave View Post
Ouch; what will be different next year?
Well, I have replaced it with a Smart Plug so I'm hoping it will be just fine. We will see.
Old 11-19-2019, 07:08 PM   #39
Guru

City: Looking
Vessel Name: --
Vessel Model: Between boats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britannia View Post
Well, I have replaced it with a Smart Plug so I'm hoping it will be just fine. We will see.
If a clean, non-corroded terminal melted on the previous connector, then there may be some other weak-point in the system that manifested itself as heat at that particular point (highest resistance -- regardless of corrosion). In the past, for example, I have seen things like under-gauge wiring from the shore power inlet to a panel do this ---- at the connector.

Might be a good idea to load down the system and run an IR gun around all the pieces-parts to see if you can locate any hot spots.

Just a thought.....
m/v SCOUT Projects Page
boathealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 07:15 PM   #40
Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by boathealer View Post
If a clean, non-corroded terminal melted on the previous connector, then there may be some other weak-point in the system that manifested itself as heat at that particular point (highest resistance -- regardless of corrosion). In the past, for example, I have seen things like under-gauge wiring from the shore power inlet to a panel do this ---- at the connector.

Might be a good idea to load down the system and run an IR gun around all the pieces-parts to see if you can locate any hot spots.

Just a thought.....
I agree. I have been checking the temperature on it regularly under load. So far so good. I do think that it could have been water ingress. We had a lot of rain last winter and I don't think it sealed very well. I will watch it very closely.