Old 08-01-2018, 08:47 PM   #21
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Continuing with my ignorance theme...

Why can’t propylene glycol be used in an engines cooling system?
Heat resistance.
Ethylene glycol is more resistant to heat (higher boiling temperature). Propylene glycol is decomposing when exposed to oxygen in air and heat and become corrosive (acidic).

Theoretically anything can be used for cooling engine, the most basic one is simple water. Difference is efficiency, durability and protection.

L

Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:55 PM   #22
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
Heat resistance.
Ethylene glycol is more resistant to heat (higher boiling temperature). Propylene glycol is decomposing when exposed to oxygen in air and heat and become corrosive (acidic).

Theoretically anything can be used for cooling engine, the most basic one is simple water. Difference is efficiency, durability and protection.

L

Thanks Lou. That makes sense.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:37 PM   #23
Guru

City: Philadelphia
Vessel Name: Dreamers Holiday
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
I have a Yanmar in my boat and they are very specific about what antifreeze to use in the cooling system. It is orange in color and needs to have a 50/50 antifreeze/distilled water mix. I have the allowable brands in my log. For winterizing the engine I use pink rated to minus 60 degrees F.
A friend of mine used to always use green in his Cummins for both the cooling system and raw water side winterizing. He did that until he started the boat one spring with the state police right behind him at the dock. When they saw green coming from his exhaust they paid him a visit and he was fined for dumping hazardous material in the water.
John
johnma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:59 PM   #24
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
There are PG antifreezes made for engine cooling, such as the Sierra brand.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:08 PM   #25
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Don't just go by colour. All greens are not alike. All oranges are not alike. Many cannot be mixed.

Some coolants are based on silicates and phosphates, some are based on organic acid technology. Don't mix the two or you'll end up with a gooey mess.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 01:01 PM   #26
Veteran Member

City: Penetanguishene
Vessel Name: Loose Goose X, and second boat, the Benchmark
Vessel Model: 1994 Ocean Alexander 423 and a 1967 Chris Craft Constellation
Do you have a manual?

Read your manual, or get one.

Consider joining Boatdiesel.com

you are dealing with $60 K worth of engine replacement here, so may be you should be very carefully looking at whether the antifreeze meets Cat diesel engine specs, especially regarding cavitation protection, and whether the contemplated anti freeze conflicts with what you are changing from. Consider visiting a Cat dealer for advice.

If you are talking about winterizing the raw water side of a cooling system, then non-toxic is the only way to go, regardless of color.
Benchmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 03:04 PM   #27
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
I am NOT talking about winterizing......
Alaskan Sea-Duction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 03:07 PM   #28
Guru

I have a small leak on the port engine and I am trying to hunt it down. Sitting static, no leak. Running where the system is pressurized I get some drops below the engine on the outside of the port engine. Hard to get too, but I will find it.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 04:08 PM   #29
Veteran Member

City: Dana Point
Vessel Name: Painless
Vessel Model: Skipjack 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
Lou is correct. Ethylene glycol which is dyed green, yellow or orange is used in engine cooling systems and is very toxic. Dogs have been known to die from lapping up a puddle of it.

Propylene glycol which is usually dyed pink is used for winterizing water systems and is reasonably safe to drink (a little).

David
Propylene Glycol is the vapor you see from a person with an "E-cigarette". It is 80-90% of the ingredients they are "vaping" How smart is that?
Painless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 06:03 PM   #30
Veteran Member

City: Marblehead
CAT antifreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
I have a small leak on the port engine and I am trying to hunt it down. Sitting static, no leak. Running where the system is pressurized I get some drops below the engine on the outside of the port engine. Hard to get too, but I will find it.
Boy this thread went sideways fast...

The OP asked about antifreeze color and then specifically related it to Cat 3208’s. Clearly he is not asking about water system winterizing.

Alaska, the pink coolant is Cat’s ELC antifreeze, basically an extended life version of the green. Check with your local Cat mechanic, but either should be fine.

Some on Boatdiesel have posted that they developed coolant leaks after switching to ELC, purportedly because it is “slipperier” than the green. IDK, but I run ELC in my 1997 3116 and have no issues.
Archhibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:09 PM   #31

City: Athens, AL
Vessel Name: Always Something!
Vessel Model: Tiara 3700 open
I have pink/red ELC in my 3208s and have some weeps from connection hoses in colder temperatures. I do not have constant tension hose clamps in all locations but will be changing them over when weather cools down. I originally had several wet coolant areas when system was hot and under pressure but, systematically, tightened every conventional hose clamp and even replaced some. The 9/16" wide hose clamps with the smooth inner liner do a much better job of sealing the hoses but are a real pain to replace with hoses connected.

ECL will eat soften gasket material and wick through. The Cummins in my old boat has that issue at the cooling water return to the water pump.
Alabama Boater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:30 PM   #32

City: Cruising Florida and Bahamas
Vessel Name: Sum Escape
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47' Europa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
A pressure pump that connects into the radiator cap should help you locate the leak. Pump it up and see if it holds pressure and if it does not the pressure should help you find the leak with out a hot running engine!
sum escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:51 PM   #33
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Green ethylene glycol is best, some of the new antifreezes when used with air space in the coolant can cause big problems with turning into gel. Lots of complaints.
If you dont believe me, then please use that orange Dexcool in your engine.
So many times they are redesigning good working products to inferior products.

They have a propylene glycol engine antifreeze. I have no experience with it.
Safe for pets. But how about engines.
https://peakauto.com/products/antifr...motive/sierra/

Old green ethylene glycol can also turn acidic!
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:58 PM   #34

City: New Hampshire
Anti-freeze differences

Hello-
After many years of reading this forum, I have decided to chime in. I believe I might have an answer for you... I believe what you are calling "pink" anti-freeze is probably red anti-freeze. Especially when discussing Cat engines. As previously mentioned, CAT elc (extended life coolant) is red. The major difference between this and regular green anti-freeze is an additive refered to as DCA (diesel coolant additive.) This is extremely important in high performance diesel engines (turbocharged.)

I have personally seen engines without this anti-freeze/additive have catastrophic failure due to a condition known as cavitation. If I remember correctly tiny air bubbles form on the cylinder liners and burst. This actually causes erosion of the liner and eventually wears through it. Coolant then leaks into the engine oil... not good!

So, in my opinion it is imperative to run high quality anti-freeze with DCA. I prefer CAT elc in all of my diesel engines. Hope this helps.
Dzlpwr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 10:01 PM   #35
Veteran Member

City: Marblehead
@ Alabama - You’re correct that different clamps with different hoses will yield various results. Your process of elimination, while a bit tedious, will result in a leak free system.

@ sum escape - a pressure tester leak test won’t account for thermal expansion. A good base line, but not a definitive test.

@Dzl - We’re all trying to help and I’m glad that you (and me) are finally posting up, but please do some basic research before making statements that a Cat 3208 can suffer from cylinder cavitation which is not true. The 3208 is not a wet liner (or “sleeved” engine) and as such is not subject to cylinder cavitation.
Archhibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 10:28 PM   #36
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Green:

Or pink:

The choice is yours

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:50 AM   #37

City: New Hampshire
I believe my statement was just covering the difference on anti-freeze and the importance of using a quality anti-freeze in all diesels. I included the cavitation statement because it's something that many people WITH wet sleeve engines don't know or understand. Thank you for reminding me, why I never post on forums!!
Dzlpwr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:08 AM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
Green:

Or pink:

The choice is yours

L