Old 10-09-2016, 01:32 PM   #1

City: Long Beach Ca
Vessel Name: Freebird
Vessel Model: 1997 Mainship 350
Volvo TAMD 40D

Any info on these engines? Am looking at a Defever 41 with these engines. Twins. Reliable? H.P.? Parts available? Not familiar with Volvo.
jclays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 02:50 PM   #2
Guru

City: NARBONNE
Vessel Name: 'Snow Mouse.'
Vessel Model: BROOM FLYBRIDGE 42.
Hi,
Fairly popular engine in Europe but parts are expensive, if you can't get cheaper parts in the US try Volspec in the UK who will ship parts out to you no problem.
If you have a White/Volvo truck dealer near you the Volvo FL4 truck uses the same engine.
Irish Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 05:00 PM   #3
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Looking Glass
Vessel Model: Carver 370 Voyager
Well you are not likely to hear much good about Volvo engines on this forum. It would appear to be an overall consensus that parts are hard or impossible to get in North America, are overpriced and further that Volvo does not support older models. I however have a 1981 TMD40A with low hours and from my understanding from the previous owner of more than 20 years the engine has had only minor issues and standard parts, filters, belts, impellers etc. are readily available. We were fortunate enough to acquire a multitude of engine parts with the boat that had come from a hurricane Sandy boat which was salvaged. Look forward to other opinions.
Old 10-09-2016, 05:45 PM   #4
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Parts are expensive, yes, but just because Volvo parts have to come from overseas, but they are not hard to find if you know where to look. Don't let the haters scare you away. Volvo motors are fine. Blocks have been around for 60 years. Call an expert. PM me if you want more info.
Old 10-09-2016, 06:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

City: Southampton
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclays View Post
Any info on these engines? Am looking at a Defever 41 with these engines. Twins. Reliable? H.P.? Parts available? Not familiar with Volvo.
I have TAMD 74Ps and they have been very reliable. I get parts from marine parts express. In 14 years that consists of filters (oil, fuel and air), belts, impellers, hoses, two turbo pressure sensors and an oil pressure sensor.
Recb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 06:58 PM   #6
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBomba View Post
Well you are not likely to hear much good about Volvo engines on this forum. It would appear to be an overall consensus that parts are hard or impossible to get in North America, are overpriced and further that Volvo does not support older models. I however have a 1981 TMD40A with low hours and from my understanding from the previous owner of more than 20 years the engine has had only minor issues and standard parts, filters, belts, impellers etc. are readily available. We were fortunate enough to acquire a multitude of engine parts with the boat that had come from a hurricane Sandy boat which was salvaged. Look forward to other opinions.
My experience is not like that quoted above.
My boat was built in Taiwan, the standard Ford Lehman was rejected by the original owner and the Volvo TMD40s were substituted as an upgrade. Those were 145 hp engines. When I bought the boat they had 3000 hours. I put another 1500 hours on them without incident.

At that time, my Volvo mechanic talked me into buying a pair of TAMD41s rated at 200 hp that Volvo had taken in trade on an upgrade for someone else. These had only 1500 hrs on them at that time, so I sold the TMD40s for almost what I got the newer engines for. Had that deal not been so good for me I would still have the 40s,

In my view the cost of parts is not an issue, as these engines are rarely in need of anything more than the usual preventive maintenance items. In the 1500 hrs I had those engines, I put new Heat Exchanger boots on both, which I was able to get easily and inexpensively. Other items I had to buy were belts, hoses, filters and fluids. All readily available and reasonably priced.

I know several boaters who have had serious work done on a variety of engines, CAT, DD, Cummins, and they all have stories of the high cost of parts for their engines.

It will all be considered high when it is unexpected.
Old 10-09-2016, 07:26 PM   #7
Guru

Have owned a boat for 16 years with Volvo TMD40 diesels. Will never own another boat with Volvo engines, due to lack of company (Volvo) support and incredibly high priced parts, if you can find them. Good engine, but if you need parts, you are SOL.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote